Hart and Cahill receive England call
Tuesday 06 October 2009
England boss Fabio Capello has called up Joe Hart and Gary Cahill into his squad for the World Cup qualifiers against Ukraine and Belarus following injuries to Paul Robinson and Joleon Lescott.
Blackburn goalkeeper Robinson will return to his club following a hip problem, while Lescott heads back to Manchester City after a calf problem he picked up in the Barclays Premier League draw at Aston Villa last night.
With Ben Foster's omission explained as a chest injury, Hart has been rewarded for a solid start to his loan period at Birmingham. Bolton centre-back Cahill, meanwhile, travelled to Kazakhstan in June with the seniors but is yet to make his England debut.
Hart and Cahill were travelling south to meet up with their team-mates while the rest of the squad were at Arsenal's London Colney complex for training ahead of Saturday's clash in Ukraine.
All 22 players were present for the start of training but Chelsea full-back Ashley Cole and Portsmouth goalkeeper David James returned to the dressing room while the others went through their warm-up routine.
Cole and James were understood to be receiving treatment on minor knocks and are expected to train tomorrow.
Latest in Sport
Chelsea vs Tottenham combined XI: Hugo Lloris or Thibaut Courtois? Willian or Christian Eriksen? Who makes the final cut?
Manchester United vs Sunderland match report: Wayne Rooney scores twice but referee Roger East sends off Wes Brown instead of John O'Shea
AP McCoy on Arsenal: 'If I was performing that bad I'd have retired a long time ago'
Charlton sex video: Addicks admit pair caught on the pitch was a publicity stunt
Carl Frampton vs Chris Avalos; Tyson Fury vs Christian Hammer; Dmitry Chudinov vs Chris Eubank Jr - boxing on TV this weekend
- 1 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 2 Man to be beheaded in Saudi Arabia after ripping up a Koran and hitting it with his shoe
- 3 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 4 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 5 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory