'He is the best. He reminds me of me,' says Pele
Monday 01 August 2005
Robinho's cheeky dribbling skills and similar physique inevitably led to comparisons with Pele. One opponent accused the youngster of overusing his trademark stepovers (or "pedaladas") to provoke the dismissal of a defender during Santos's win over Gremio in December 2002.
"He could end up having his leg broken," said Gremio keeper Danrlei.
Robinho hit the headlines again last November when his mother was abducted by two armed men at a barbecue in Santos. The player was out of action until the 40-day ordeal was over, but he returned to help Santos clinch their second Brazilian championship in three years.
Asked about Robinho in a recent interview Pele said: "He is already the best player in Brazil and he has all the qualities needed to be one of the best in the world." Real are confident the great man is right.
Latest in Sport
Pornhub: Cheeky Liverpool fan uploads Philippe Coutinho wonder-goal video to adult website
Diego Costa keeps coin thrown at him during Capital One Cup final
Lukas Podolski corner: Has the Arsenal forward taken the worst corner of all time?
Tim Sherwood: 'Escape the drop and I’ll make sure Aston Villa do not suffer this again'
Ireland 19 England 9 player ratings: Jonathan Sexton? Devin Toner? Alex Goode? Who was the star man in Dublin?
- 1 This restaurant has misunderstood the concept of 'cheese and biscuits'
- 2 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
- 5 The 'sex selfie stick' lets you FaceTime the inside of a vagina