Henry not assured of World Cup place
Monday 12 April 2010
Raymond Domenech has refused to give assurances over Thierry Henry's place in France's 23-man squad for this summer's World Cup finals in South Africa.
The 32-year-old Barcelona forward was in the squad for France's last game against Spain, but there are no guarantees he will make the final cut for the World Cup, despite having helped Les Bleus reach the finals in the play-off victory over the Republic of Ireland.
Domenech told French television show Canal Football Club: "It is a question that would arise on May 11 (the date of the initial squad announcement)."
Henry was a member of the World Cup-winning squad in 1998 and the Euro 2000-winning team and has scored 51 times in 118 appearances for France.
But his place is in jeopardy due to his limited playing time at Barcelona coupled with the wide array of attacking options at Domenech's disposal.
"I have deep respect for great players. Thierry has been, is (a great player). He does not play, but he is at Barcelona and he plays in a big competition," added the coach.
"But I cannot help 'Titi' in this way."
Another potential striker for France is Nicolas Anelka of Chelsea.
Anelka has been critical of Domenech's regime, but the coach insisted he accepts comments from senior squad members.
"I do not take it as an attack," said Domenech.
"When those who speak are the players within the senior players, I'm happy, they are the ones who will save the team."
Latest in Sport
Angel Di Maria: Manchester United to push ahead with £50m move for Real Madrid winger
Marcos Rojo to Manchester United: Sporting Lisbon confirm deal with Nani heading back to Portugal on loan
Besiktas vs Arsenal: Arsene Wenger hits out at Aaron Ramsey red card decision
Arsenal player ratings vs Besiktas
Besiktas vs Arsenal player ratings: Alexis Sanchez, Jack Wilshere, Calum Chambers - who was the Gunners star man?
- 1 Three of Pope Francis' relatives die in Argentina car crash, including two young great-nephews
- 2 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 3 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 4 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
- 5 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'