Hitzfeld backs Kuranyi for South Africa
Friday 23 April 2010
Germany coach Joachim Low should take Kevin Kuranyi to the World Cup this summer, according to Switzerland coach Ottmar Hitzfeld.
Low has promised to make his mind up in the next 10 days about whether to give the Schalke striker a recall to the squad for this summer's World Cup 20 months after he was dropped indefinitely for indiscipline.
Kuranyi walked out on the national team at half-time of their World Cup qualifier against Russia, prompting Low to bring an end to his international career, but his 18 goals in the Bundesliga this season appear to be forcing Low into a change of heart.
Hitzfeld, who turned down the opportunity of becoming Germany coach after Rudi Voller resigned in 2004, believes Low would be well-advised to take one of the Bundesliga's top goalscorers to South Africa.
"As a coach, I have always got to reward the top performers and Kuranyi has worked hard and has an impressive record this season," said Hitzfeld to Sport1.
The Switzerland coach has also suggested who Low should leave out of his squad to make room for Kuranyi.
"I don't think Cacau will be included," he said. "He has only played five times for the national team and not scored a goal."
Latest in Sport
NFL player Marshawn Lynch answers every question in post-game interview with 'Yeah'
Manchester United named Premier League's loudest fans despite late push by Chelsea according to 'Smart Meter' app
WWE Survivor Series 2014: What time does the event start? And full card
Chelsea vs West Brom: Jose Mourinho turns on ‘Dr Sergio Ramos’ in Spanish spat
Prince Harry leads the congratulations for Lewis Hamilton in Abu Dhabi, calling him 'an absolute legend' as he crossed the finish line
- 1 Lego letter from the 1970s still offers a powerful message to parents 40 years later
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Green Party Caroline Lucas interview: 'We could be on the edge of something very big'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'