Howard Webb misses out on refereeing Euro 2012 final
Friday 29 June 2012
Howard Webb's hopes of adding another showpiece occasion to his
glittering CV have been dashed after it was confirmed Portuguese referee
Pedro Proenca will take charge of Sunday's Euro 2012 final between
Spain and Italy in Kiev.
Webb refereed the last World Cup final, a season when he also did the Champions League final.
He was fourth official for last night's semi-final between Italy and Germany.
However, he has been overlooked for the biggest game of the tournament in favour of Proenca, who was in charge of England's quarter-final defeat to Italy in Kiev.
Latest in Sport
Lionel Messi vs Cristiano Ronaldo: Compare the Barcelona and Real Madrid players in El Clasico
Paul Scholes column: I'm not worried about Manchester United's defence - Chelsea test can be the making of Phil Jones and Marcos Rojo
Tim Sherwood: The mavericks have always needed special handling – but Balotelli is not delivering his side of the bargain for Liverpool
Manchester United vs Chelsea: Modesty of Louis van Gaal makes nice contrast with his old pupil Jose Mourinho
Real Madrid analysis: Toni Kroos control may give extra edge that enables Real Madrid to retain Champions League crown
- 1 Revolutionary lost Caravaggio painting 'Mary Magdalen in Ecstasy' identified
- 2 McKamey Manor: This 'extreme' haunted house is the stuff of nightmares
- 3 Russell Brand says he will 'probably' give up acting to focus on his revolution
- 4 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 5 David Beckham's Haig Club whisky is exactly what’s wrong with the Highlands