Ingham's broken finger hands chance to Mannus
Saturday 05 June 2004
Northern Ireland have called up the goalkeeper Alan Mannus for tomorrow's game against Trinidad and Tobago at the Dwight Yorke Stadium in Bacolet, Tobago, because of an injury to Michael Ingham.
Ingham, the Sunderland goalkeeper, fractured his finger in a training session and has been forced out of the remainder of the tour, prompting the promotion to the squad of Mannus as back-up to the first-choice keeper, Maik Taylor.
Mannus, who plays for the Northern Ireland champions Linfield, is likely to figure tomorrow with manager Lawrie Sanchez seeking to play all his players on tour to help him make up his mind on the likely composition of the squad which will aim to qualify for the 2006 World Cup.
The Irish Football Association president, Jim Boyce, said: "We had to make this change after Ingham's finger was fractured - obviously we could not take a chance with one goalkeeper.
"He has never played for the national senior team but we believe he is very competent. He was delighted to get the call and if he plays on Sunday, I am hoping he does well."
* In Buenos Aires, the Argentina captain Roberto Ayala returns to the team in tomorrow's World Cup qualifier against Paraguay as Argentina attempt to make up for their 3-1 defeat by Brazil on Wednesday. The Valencia defender, who was suspended against the world champions, is expected to replace Gabriel Heinze.
Latest in Sport
The Premier League is about earning the right to play on the counter-attack - Danny Higginbotham
Chelsea vs Crystal Palace: Alan Pardew seems to be building something special down at the Palace
John Stones to Chelsea: Next season's bumper TV deal means clubs such as Everton can say 'no'
Kevin De Bruyne: Why do Manchester City put such a high value on a player Chelsea rejected?
David De Gea to Real Madrid: Manchester United to 'make goalkeeper suffer' before deciding his fate as Real prepare £29.3m bid
- 1 The difference between a migrant and refugee, in one sentence
- 2 Miley Cyrus calls out hypocrisy of women’s nipples being taboo
- 3 Celebrity Big Brother 2015: Tila Tequila kicked off show after 'describing Hitler as a good man'
- 4 iPhone 5c to be discontinued, no iPhone 6c to replace it