Italy vs Uruguay player ratings: Andrea Pirlo or Luis Suarez - who rated highest?
A look at the individual performances following Uruguay's 1-0 victory over Italy
Tuesday 24 June 2014
Diego Godin's late goal sent Uruguay through to the World Cup knockout stages at the expense of 10-man Italy in Natal just after Luis Suarez found himself at the centre of another biting storm.
Suarez, who served a 10-match ban for biting Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic in 2013, clashed with Italian defender Giorgio Chiellini in the 79th minute.
Suarez could face suspension if FIFA disciplinary officials uphold Chiellini's protests, and the incident cast a shadow over a hard-fought win for the South Americans.
Defender Godin rose highest to nudge home an 81st-minute corner to end the resistance of the Italians, who had played with 10 men since Claudio Marchisio's sending-off on the hour.
Who do you think was the man-of-the-match? Let us know in the comments below.
Latest in Sport
Perth midfielder Ruben Zadkovich sent off 17 seconds after coming on against Wellington
F1 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2014 live: Lewis Hamilton heads towards second championship as Nico Rosberg has major engine troubles
England vs Samoa match report: England finally end losing streak as Jonny May stars in win ahead of Wallabies showdown
Arsenal vs Manchester United report: Wayne Rooney and a Kieran Gibbs own goal make Gunners rue missed chances
Arsenal vs Manchester United player ratings: Who was the star man? Wayne Rooney or David De Gea?
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'