James: I can still play for England in the second tier
Monday 02 August 2010
David James has insisted he still has an international future, despite dropping down to the second tier of English football in moving to Bristol City.
The goalkeeper, who turned 40 yesterday, lost his England place to Rob Green at this summer's World Cup, only to be recalled after one match following the West Ham player's mistake against the US in Rustenburg.
"You could argue that playing in the Championship means that you automatically exlcude yourself from selection," James, who harbours hopes of adding to his 53 England caps in next week's friendly with Hungary, said. "I haven't changed as a goalkeeper over the summer. If my work has been good enough then that shouldn't exclude me from selection.
"I feel good in myself physically, feel good in myself mentally. The thought of retirement is far away. The experience of the World Cup gave me a new lease of life." James could make his Robins debut against Millwall this Saturday.
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
food + drinkMichelin-starred Tom Sellers on being this year's hottest property
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
tvParents (and kids) rejoice! A new wave of fantastic family entertainment is here
food + drinkHow one grocery e-tailer is gearing up for the Yuletide rush
food + drink
Latest in Sport
Ashes 2013/14: England’s Ashes shambles is uglier than ’06 whitewash
Gerard Deulofeu - Why Barcelona chose Everton to educate their latest prodigy
Manchester United 0 Newcastle United 1 match report: David Moyes powerless to prevent dismal defeat
Liverpool 4 West Ham 1 match report: Luis Suarez gives England more to fear
Manchester United 0 Newcastle United 1: Champions haven't got a clue
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant