Japan clinch shock World Cup win in shoot-out
Monday 18 July 2011
Japan's giant-killing Women's World Cup campaign ended in glory with a penalty shoot-out win over traditional powerhouse the United States in the final in Frankfurt last night.
The States led through Alex Morgan in normal time and Abby Wambach in extra-time, but Aya Miyama and Homare Sawa equalised – the latter taking the tournament's Golden Boot as top scorer. A low-quality shoot-out saw Shannon Boxx, Tobin Heath and Carli Lloyd miss for the favourites before defender Saki Kumagai settled it 3-1 in Japan's favour.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Should Apple buy Greece?
- 2 Michael Douglas regrets 'embarrassing' Catherine Zeta-Jones with oral sex comments
- 3 Drummer Lee Rigby's family reject 'extremist' groups using Woolwich murder for political gain
- 4 Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
- 5 Fox News anchor asks 'what's to prevent' three people from marrying after same-sex marriage legalised