Japan perform u-turn to play in Copa America
Thursday 14 April 2011
Japan will take take part in this year's Copa America, Japan Football Association (JFA) general secretary Kozo Tashima said today.
"The JFA decided to participate in the Copa America today," Tashima was quoted as saying by the Kyodo news agency.
"We are in the process of notifying CONMEBOL (South American football confederation) as we speak."
Japan had pulled out of the July 1-24 tournament, which is being held in Argentina, after the country's northeastern coast was devastated by an earthquake and tsunami last month.
Latest in Sport
Robin van Persie: Manchester United may have more joy if striker is dropped by David Moyes
Tim Sherwood rules out being No 2 at Tottenham, saying the 'silence is deafening' over his own future
England 29 Wales 18 match report: Stuart Lancaster's men enjoy their day in the sun at expense of weary Wales
England 29 Wales 18 player ratings: Who was the star man at Twickenham?
FA Cup semi-finals: Lukasz Fabianski will start in goal for Arsenal against Wigan
- 1 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 2 Australian man Rod Sommerville reacts to bite from deadly snake by reaching for cold beer
- 3 Teacher shows sex tape featuring herself to pupils during class by mistake
- 4 David Cameron resorts to paying for Facebook fans because not enough people like him
- 5 Steve Irwin’s final words: Cameraman present at death opens up about deadly stingray attack for the first time