Japan perform u-turn to play in Copa America
Thursday 14 April 2011
Japan will take take part in this year's Copa America, Japan Football Association (JFA) general secretary Kozo Tashima said today.
"The JFA decided to participate in the Copa America today," Tashima was quoted as saying by the Kyodo news agency.
"We are in the process of notifying CONMEBOL (South American football confederation) as we speak."
Japan had pulled out of the July 1-24 tournament, which is being held in Argentina, after the country's northeastern coast was devastated by an earthquake and tsunami last month.
Latest in Sport
Manchester United vs Newcastle match report: Brilliant Wayne Rooney scores twice to fire up United's unlikely title challenge
Championship round-up: Emile Heskey back with a bang in Bolton victory
Arsenal vs QPR player ratings: Could anyone outshine new Gunners hero Alexis Sanchez and who was worse than villain Olivier Giroud?
Manchester United 3 Newcastle 1: 'I'm playing like Paul Scholes,' says Wayne Rooney
Sports Quiz of the Year 2014: The Questions
- 1 Exclusive: Abusers using spyware apps to monitor partners reaches 'epidemic proportions'
- 2 Margaret Thatcher 'expressed fears of Asian rising' at Anglo-Irish summit in 1984
- 3 Top 10 travel destinations for 2015: From Haiti and Alaska to Namibia and Iceland
- 4 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 5 The Unluckiest People of the Year 2014 (and one very unlucky giraffe)