Japan perform u-turn to play in Copa America
Thursday 14 April 2011
Japan will take take part in this year's Copa America, Japan Football Association (JFA) general secretary Kozo Tashima said today.
"The JFA decided to participate in the Copa America today," Tashima was quoted as saying by the Kyodo news agency.
"We are in the process of notifying CONMEBOL (South American football confederation) as we speak."
Japan had pulled out of the July 1-24 tournament, which is being held in Argentina, after the country's northeastern coast was devastated by an earthquake and tsunami last month.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 2 Greece debt crisis explained: A history of just how the country landed itself in such a mess
- 3 People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
- 4 Greek debt crisis: Yanis Varoufakis's funniest (and most memorable) quotes
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers