Japan perform u-turn to play in Copa America
Thursday 14 April 2011
Japan will take take part in this year's Copa America, Japan Football Association (JFA) general secretary Kozo Tashima said today.
"The JFA decided to participate in the Copa America today," Tashima was quoted as saying by the Kyodo news agency.
"We are in the process of notifying CONMEBOL (South American football confederation) as we speak."
Japan had pulled out of the July 1-24 tournament, which is being held in Argentina, after the country's northeastern coast was devastated by an earthquake and tsunami last month.
Latest in Sport
England vs Lithuania: Roy Hodgson set to resist calls to start with Spurs striker Harry Kane
Paul Scholes: Frustrated Steven Gerrard should have started crucial game between Liverpool and Manchester United
Paul Scholes: It's amazing Manchester United midfielder Michael Carrick has so few caps for England
New kits for 2015/16: Have the Arsenal, Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Barcelona strips been leaked?
England vs Lithuania: Theo Walcott 'at risk of being left behind' in Three Lions pecking order
- 1 JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
- 2 Finland schools: Subjects scrapped and replaced with 'topics' as country reforms its education system
- 3 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 4 #FreeTheNipple: Women in Iceland bare breasts in solidarity with trolled student
- 5 Cate Blanchett loses temper during interview: 'That's your f**king question?'