John Terry is England's latest World Cup doubt with foot injury
Wednesday 12 May 2010
Fabio Capello's World Cup finals preparations were hit with another major setback today when John Terry was taken to hospital with a bad blow to his foot that could make the Chelsea captain a doubt for South Africa.
The latest injury to hit the England team, which took place in a Chelsea training session at Cobham, came just one day after Capello named Terry in his 30-man provisional squad in a group of five central defenders who already have serious injury problems. There are enormous doubts over the fitness of Rio Ferdinand and whether Ledley King's chronic knee problems will stand up to the rigours of tournament football.
Terry and Ferdinand are Capello's first-choice pairing to start against the United States in England's first group game on 12 June.
The details of Terry's injury were still sketchy and he is thought to be waiting until tomorrow for the results of the scan. The fear is that he has broken a bone. Despite his injury problems in the past he does have a phenomenal record of playing through the pain although this latest injury may well rule him out of Saturday's FA Cup final against Portsmouth.
Latest in Sport
Manchester United's best XI of the season so far: No place for Angel Di Maria or Juan Mata
Hector Bellerin opens up on switch from Barcelona to Arsenal
WrestleMania 31 results: Seth Rollins stuns WWE as he cashes in Money in the Bank contract to claim title from Brock Lesnar
WrestleMania 31: What time does it start? Full match card and preview ahead of WWE event
WrestleMania 31: Undertaker begins a new streak after tombstoning Bray Wyatt
- 1 East 17 bandmember Brian Harvey in 'very desperate situation’
- 2 Germanwings plane crash: Video shows co-pilot Andreas Lubitz learning to fly as a teenager
- 3 Vladimir Putin says Russia will fight for the right of Palestinians to their own state
- 4 Germanwings crash: Captain of doomed plane was only 'on board because he changed job to spend more time with his children'
- 5 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans