John Toshack: 'I'm not finished with football'
Friday 10 September 2010
John Toshack claims he is not yet finished in football management despite an inglorious end to his tenure as Wales boss.
The 61-year-old yesterday ended his six-year reign in charge of his country after reaching a mutual agreement with the Football Association of Wales.
Toshack oversaw 21 wins in 53 internationals during what was his second spell at the helm but none were against major nations.
He failed to end Wales' long wait for a place in the finals of a major tournament - which now runs to 52 years - and his handling of senior players during his tenure attracted criticism.
Pressure increased after defeat in last Friday's opening Euro 2012 qualifier in Montenegro and it came as no surprise when it was announced his employment with the FAW had been terminated yesterday. That was a body blow for a vastly experienced coach who has had two spells in charge at Real Madrid, three at Real Sociedad and worked at six other clubs on the continent.
But Toshack, who creditably spoke for nearly 50 minutes at a press conference, is not giving up just yet.
He said: "I don't see anything happening in the immediate future - there are still a few things to be sorted out - but, if the past is anything to go on, in the new year I may be somewhere else.
"This is not a new position - I have had highs and lows before.
"I have done these conferences in three or four different languages before so this one is easier in that respect."
Toshack's departure was officially termed as mutual agreement but he said he had wanted to continue for next month's qualifiers against Bulgaria and Switzerland.
That was ruled out but the FAW have not decided whether they want to appoint a caretaker manager to oversee those games or bring in a full-time boss immediately.
Wales do not play again after their October double-header until England visit in March.
Millwall boss Kenny Jackett was installed as an early favourite for the job but soon ruled himself out. Stoke manager Tony Pulis also said he had no interest.
Other names in the frame could be former Fulham and Coventry manager Chris Coleman and current Under-21 boss Brian Flynn.
Manchester United veteran Ryan Giggs has also been linked with the post, as has another former international in John Hartson.
Non-Welsh candidates could include former Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill and ex-Hull boss Phil Brown.
Whoever takes over, Toshack believes they will still have a good chance of leading them to European Championship qualification.
Toshack said: "The group is far from settled. I would like to see the players go out and perform like they have never performed before and the crowd get behind them.
"I hope whoever comes in gets off to a good start.
"I still feel the team is capable of getting positive results."
Latest in Sport
Sky Sports and BT Sport announce Premier League live matches for 2015/16 with Man United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool in action
Wimbledon 2015: Dustin Brown knocks Rafael Nadal out of the championship
Football kits 2015/16: The good, the bad and the downright worst new shirts from around the world for next season
Chelsea 2015/16 home shirt leaked again as new picture appears online
Dustin Brown: Who is the world number 102 who knocked Rafael Nadal out of Wimbledon?
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly