Katongo puts Zambia on top in African Cup
Monday 30 January 2012
Zambia doused Equatorial Guinea's celebrations with a 1-0 win which took them into the African Cup of Nations quarter-finals yesterday and left the co-hosts facing a possible match against Ivory Coast.
Christopher Katongo scored the only goal of a cagey match as Zambia finished top of Group A and pushed already-qualified Equatorial Guinea into second place. Zambia broke through in the 67th minute when Katongo collected the ball from a throw-in and scored with a low shot from the edge of the penalty area which went just inside the near post.
Libya also beat Senegal 2-1 to leave one of the pre-tournament favourites bottom of the group.
Mountain goats miraculously survive avalanche in the Alps
Skyfall's Ben Whishaw confirmed for Freddie Mercury film
Latest in Sport
Roy Keane omits Paul Scholes, Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs from 'greatest' Manchester United team
Ashes 2013-14 comment: England need to learn from Australia and master art of avoiding 'the creep'
Roy Keane and Patrick Vieira relive rivalry - after the former Manchester United and Arsenal captains shared ice cream in Warsaw
Ashes 2013-14 match report: Alastair Cook future in jeopardy after another woeful display sees England lose to Australia by 218 runs to go down 2-0
Manchester United player ratings: The best (and worst) performers for David Moyes during the season so far
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 TK Maxx and discount stores: If it looks too good to be true, it probably is
- 3 Teenage girl convicted of robbery after taking pre-crime selfie wielding knife
- 4 Government delays EU immigration report because it is too positive
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent