Katongo puts Zambia on top in African Cup
Monday 30 January 2012
Zambia doused Equatorial Guinea's celebrations with a 1-0 win which took them into the African Cup of Nations quarter-finals yesterday and left the co-hosts facing a possible match against Ivory Coast.
Christopher Katongo scored the only goal of a cagey match as Zambia finished top of Group A and pushed already-qualified Equatorial Guinea into second place. Zambia broke through in the 67th minute when Katongo collected the ball from a throw-in and scored with a low shot from the edge of the penalty area which went just inside the near post.
Libya also beat Senegal 2-1 to leave one of the pre-tournament favourites bottom of the group.
Latest in Sport
Ashley Cole and Luke Shaw rise to the bait to deny they are the rumoured 'gay England footballer'
West Brom 0 Manchester United 3 match report: Manchester United stick to the script as Robin Van Persie loses the plot
Chelsea 4 Tottenham Hotspur 0: Manager Tim Sherwood calls on Spurs to show guts following heavy defeat
Arsenal 4 Everton 1 match report: Revitalised Mesut Özil breathes life into Arsenal
West Bromwich Albion v Manchester United: Is Wayne Rooney really in Robin van Persie’s way at United?
- 1 To those who can’t see the point of International Women’s Day: you are the very reason it exists
- 2 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 3 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 4 Singapore sting: Sky-high prices are pushing locals to the edge of affordability
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because late wife Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it