Kelly urges Irish to avoid 'disaster'
Thursday 06 October 2011
With the handball by Thierry Henry that deprived the Republic of Ireland the chance to play at the last World Cup fresh in his mind, "it would be a disaster" to be consigned to another play-off lottery, says Stephen Kelly. "To go out the way we did, it left a sour taste," the full-back added. Ireland trail group leaders Russia by two points and know only defeat for Dick Advocaat's men in Slovakia, coupled with victories for them against the Andorrans and Armenia in Dublin next Tuesday will see them top the group.
Latest in Sport
Lionel Messi dumps Jerome Boateng: The moment two-goal hero made Bayern Munich defender look like 'baby in a playpen'
Barcelona vs Bayern Munich match report: Lionel Messi double and Neymar strike put Barca on course for Champions League final
Floyd Mayweather mocks Manny Pacquiao: 'Winners win and losers have excuses'
Barcelona 3 Bayern Munich 0 player ratings
Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and Manchester City in top eight of Forbes Rich List
- 1 Qataris pledge to expand Canary Wharf
- 2 #JeSuisEd: People share photos of themselves eating awkwardly in solidarity with Labour leader
- 3 Women think Irish men are the sexiest, survey finds
- 4 Florida couple forced to register as sex offenders for having sex on public beach
- 5 Watch eerie drone footage of destroyed building in Stalingrad