Lampard ruled out of Brazil friendly
Frank Lampard is out of England's friendly with Brazil in Qatar on Saturday.
The Chelsea midfielder suffered an injury to his left thigh in training today and is due to fly back to England from Doha tonight.
Coach Fabio Capello has decided not to call in a replacement, leaving the Three Lions with a 21-man squad to face the five-times world champions.
"We can confirm that Frank Lampard picked up an injury to his left thigh whilst training today and will be returning home this evening," said an FA spokesman.
"There will be no further call-ups to the squad."
It is bad news for Chelsea, who have suffered a string of injuries over the last few days that could affect their Premier League title bid.
However, for England it is reminiscent of the friendly with Germany last November, when Capello found himself without most of his senior stars.
Rio Ferdinand, Steven Gerrard, Ashley Cole, David James, Theo Walcott, Glen Johnson and Emile Heskey did not even make the trip to Qatar from what would constitute Capello's first-choice line-up.
In addition, David Beckham and Aaron Lennon have been ruled out, leaving Capello to select a virtual second-string line-up, bolstered by captain John Terry and star forward Wayne Rooney.
Latest in Sport
Ashley Cole and Luke Shaw rise to the bait to deny they are the rumoured 'gay England footballer'
Arsenal 4 Everton 1 match report: Revitalised Mesut Özil breathes life into Arsenal
West Bromwich Albion v Manchester United: Is Wayne Rooney really in Robin van Persie’s way at United?
Robin van Persie: Manchester United manager David Moyes a 'little bit surprised' after striker plays 90 minutes for Netherlands day after being sick
Chelsea v Tottenham: Tim Sherwood claims the pressure is off as Spurs look to end dreadful record at Stamford Bridge
- 1 To those who can’t see the point of International Women’s Day: you are the very reason it exists
- 2 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because late wife Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it