Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard set to miss England friendlies this summer
Midfielder will not play again this season
Wednesday 08 May 2013
The England captain, Steven Gerrard, is almost certain to miss the team's two upcoming friendlies due to an operation on his left shoulder later this week which will rule him out for the rest of the season.
England are due to play the Republic of Ireland at Wembley on 29 May and Brazil at the refurbished Maracana on 2 June.
Gerrard will definitely be unavailable for Liverpool's trip to Fulham on Sunday before they host Queen's Park Rangers on the final day of the season.
The 32-year-old midfielder is expected to return in time for his club's pre-season programme.
Latest in Sport
Cristiano Ronaldo applauded by Liverpool fans after master-class for Real Madrid, despite Manchester United ties
Angel Di Maria injury latest: Argentina international set to play in Manchester United vs Chelsea match
Real Madrid vs Barcelona: Cristiano Ronaldo says he is playing Barca - not just Lionel Messi - in El Clasico
Paul Scholes column: I'm not worried about Manchester United's defence - Chelsea test can be the making of Phil Jones and Marcos Rojo
Erik Lamela goal: Best tweets and reaction to Tottenham man's Rabona
- 1 This 'woman calls police to order pizza' story isn't going where you're expecting
- 2 Axe wielding man shot dead after attacking four New York policemen on busy street
- 3 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 4 Jimmy Carr's Oscar Pistorius joke goes a bit too far at the Q Awards
- 5 Ottawa shootings: Bruce MacKinnon's cartoon is the perfect tribute to soldier Nathan Cirillo