Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard set to miss England friendlies this summer
Midfielder will not play again this season
Wednesday 08 May 2013
The England captain, Steven Gerrard, is almost certain to miss the team's two upcoming friendlies due to an operation on his left shoulder later this week which will rule him out for the rest of the season.
England are due to play the Republic of Ireland at Wembley on 29 May and Brazil at the refurbished Maracana on 2 June.
Gerrard will definitely be unavailable for Liverpool's trip to Fulham on Sunday before they host Queen's Park Rangers on the final day of the season.
The 32-year-old midfielder is expected to return in time for his club's pre-season programme.
Liam Neeson's Downton dreams
Thriller is set in the secret world of British espionage
Latest in Sport
Think before you ink: Manchester United fan gets Sir Alex Ferguson tattoo - and will regret it for the rest of his life
Paul Scholes column: Rio Ferdinand and John Terry row was bad but they could have kept playing for England
Borussia Dortmund vs Arsenal: Mesut Ozil given the worst rating possible by German newspaper Bild after poor performance
Colombian women's cycling team kit that makes wearer appear naked is branded 'unacceptable' by UCI president
Bayern Munich vs Manchester City report: Jerome Boateng thrashes home winner against former team
- 1 Scottish independence results live: Reunited kingdom - Scotland gives a clear 'No' in historic referendum
- 2 Scottish referendum results: David Cameron set to unveil major devolution of powers to England
- 3 iOS 8 is full of shiny new features - but it's terrible news for app developers
- 4 Scottish independence: Tory revolt against 'devo max' grows as Rail Minister Claire Perry joins
- 5 Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair