Liverpool striker Andy Carroll earns England chance
The striker is currently out on loan with West Ham
Roy Hodgson's assistant Ray Lewington will scout the West Ham striker Andy Carroll on Saturday when he faces his former club Newcastle, with a view to bringing him back into the England squad.
Carroll, 24, has not been called up England since October. He has just seven goals this season – but four in the last five games – and Hodgson has few options. England play Republic of Ireland at Wembley and Brazil in Rio at the end of the season.
Latest in Sport
Heysel disaster 30th anniversary: Liverpool have seen too much tragedy to forget that fateful day in Belgium
Revealed: The most unwatchable Premier League teams of the 2014/15 season
Paul Scholes column: With Premier League over for another year, here are my end of season awards
Premier League 2015/16 kits: Confirmed and rumoured strips from Arsenal, Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and others
Michel Platini to consider pulling England and other Uefa members out of the World Cup if Sepp Blatter wins Fifa election
- 1 10 ways we damage our teeth – without realising
- 2 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 3 iPhone 'effective power' text: how to be safe from iOS bug that lets people crash your phone
- 4 Photo of wedding guest proposing to girlfriend in front of bride and groom goes viral
- 5 Charlie Charlie Challenge explained: it's just gravity — not a Mexican demon being summoned