Luis Suarez and the longest football bans featuring Eric Cantona, Mark Schwarzer and erm, Luis Suarez again
Thursday 26 June 2014
Luis Suarez was given an unprecedented nine-match international suspension by Fifa plus a four-month ban from all football activity after biting Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini during Uruguay's 1-0 victory over Italy in the World Cup group stage.
Suarez will now not be seen on a football pitch again until after 26 October beacuse of the four-month ban, although Liverpool can appeal the decision. The club have yet to confirm whether they will do so.
Read more: What Liverpool matches will he miss?
Chiellini pokes fun at Suarez
Comment: Let's move past shock value
But where does Suarez's latest suspension rank among other memorable bans. Click through the gallery to find out...
The match Suarez is expected to return for is Newcastle United at St James' Park in the league on 1 November.
Latest in Sport
Don't mess with me, Diego Costa warns Manchester City ahead of Chelsea clash
World Masters Athletics Championships: Meet the 95-year-olds still picking up medals
Colombian women's cycling team kit that makes wearer appear naked is branded 'unacceptable' by UCI president
West Ham vs Liverpool match report: Reds are caught cold by hot Hammers
Aston Villa vs Arsenal team news: Alexis Sanchez incorrectly named in starting line-up as Alex Oxlade-Chamerlain called up to start
- 1 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 3 Scottish referendum 'English question': Tory MPs call on David Cameron to create an English first minister in wake of No vote
- 4 Iranian blogger found guilty of insulting Prophet Mohammad on Facebook sentenced to death
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster