Luis Suarez ban: Fifa are 'a bunch of old b******s' says Uruguayan president Jose Mujica
Uruguayan head of state in no mood for forgiveness
Monday 30 June 2014
The Uruguayan president, Jose Mujica, has labelled Fifa as "a bunch of old b******s" in a new television interview as the Luis Suarez row refuses to die down.
Talking about the decision to ban Suarez for nine international matches and all football for four months, Mujica said: "We can take sanctions, but not fascist sanctions."
Read more: Perhaps Suarez knows what he’s doing
Uruguay striker told Fifa panel that he 'lost his balance
The announcement was broadcast on Uruguayan television as part of an interview with the President on a sports show.
Mujica was asked: "What does this World Cup mean to you?" and replied "That Fifa are a bunch of old b******s."
Following that remark the Uruguayan president immediately covered his mouth with his hand, although when asked "Can we broadcast that?", Mujica replied "Broadcast it, for me."
The journalist then turned the camera to the Uruguayan senator and wife of the president, Lucia Topolanski, and asked her what she thought.
"I agree with the words of the president," she said smiling.
Despite widespread condemnation for his actions during the World Cup, in Uruguay at least it appears Suarez has friends in very high places.
Latest in Sport
Tony Bellew vs Nathan Cleverly 2 report: Bellew takes his revenge with points win over Cleverly
Perth midfielder Ruben Zadkovich sent off 17 seconds after coming on against Wellington
England vs Samoa match report: England finally end losing streak as Jonny May stars in win ahead of Wallabies showdown
WWE Survivor Series 2014: Start time and full match card
Arsenal vs Manchester United report: Wayne Rooney and a Kieran Gibbs own goal make Gunners rue missed chances
- 1 'Not suppost to cry': 9-year-old lists the worst things about being a boy
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'