Luis Suarez bite: Fifa yet to act after Uruguay and Liverpool striker bit Giorgio Chiellini
Uruguay officials continue to plead his innocence
Wednesday 25 June 2014
Fifa are yet to make a decision on Uruguay striker Luis Suarez following his bite on Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini.
The world governing body gave Suarez until 9pm tonight to respond to charges. Uruguay players and officials continue to protest his innocence.
However, with that deadline now passed, and no official word from Fifa it is likely that a decision will be made tomorrow.
Suarez is facing anything from a two game to a two year ban for the bite, the third such incident of his career.
Read more: Suarez's Liverpool career in jeopardy
Suarez tried to bite Chiellini in the Confederations Cup
You're more likely to be bitten by Suarez than a shark
Poker firm review Suarez sponsorship deal
He received a seven game ban from the Dutch FA for biting Otman Bakkal and a 10-game ban for biting Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic in April 2013.
A Fifa spokeswoman had earlier said that the independent disciplinary committee would act "urgently".
"The disciplinary committee understands the urgency of the matter and is working to make a decision as soon as possible, particularly as Uruguay are still in the tournament," she said.
"They have already showed they are fully aware of the urgency of the matter. They will address the matter with the necessary urgency."
As Suarez's endorsements, such as 888Poker, considered dropping the striker, Uruguayan officials lined up to defend the striker.
The team's captain Diego Lugano said: "What incident? The footage doesn't show anything, you can speculate from it but it's nothing important".
While his manager, Oscar Tabarez, added: "Suarez is the target of certain sections of the press".
Fifa are determined to make a decision one way or the other before Uruguay face Colombia in the Round of 16 on Saturday.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 A third of employers never check job applicants' qualifications, survey finds