Manchester United's Michael Carrick is ruled out for six weeks
The midfielder had already pulled out the England squad for the upcoming England friendlies
Manchester United have confirmed that Michael Carrick will be sidelined for four to six weeks with an Achilles injury.
Carrick played through the pain to complete United’s 1-0 victory over Arsenal on Sunday, but has reportedly undergone treatment since to correct the problem after withdrawing from Roy Hodgson’s side for friendlies against Chile and Germany and is likely to be out until Christmas.
The 32-year-old played in 36 out of Manchester United’s 38 Premier League matches last season as the club regained their Premier League title.
The midfielder wrote on Twitter today: "A few weeks out for me. Hate missing games! Not used to this injury business. Heal quick n come back stronger!!"
He is expected to miss the club's final two group matches in the Champions League as well as league games against Cardiff, Tottenham, Everton, Newcastle and Aston Villa.
Carrick’s United team-mate, Danny Welbeck, has also pulled out of the England squad with a knee injury.
Latest in Sport
Arsenal transfer news and rumours: Gabriel Paulista sent to Paris to speed up move; Luis Suarez bid planned; Gunners eye Daniele Rugani
Chelsea vs Liverpool match report: Branislav Ivanovic seals classic semi-final with extra-time header to send Blues to Wembley
Gabriel Paulista: Talented Brazilian could grow into world-class defender at Arsenal
Andy Murray vs Tomas Berydch: Murray cool over reunion with coach Dani Vallverdu at the Australian Open
Transfer news live: Gabriel Paulista to Arsenal imminent; Juan Cuadrado to Chelsea; Liverpool close in on £14m Ezequiel Lavezzi
- 1 King Salman: Just five days in, Saudi Arabia's new king has already overseen a beheading
- 2 The BBC has just done more to eradicate ‘terrorism’ than all our wars since 9/11
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Presidential optical illusion offers clues to how brain processes faces
- 5 Grumpy Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' rediscovered after 35 years