Manchester United defender Chris Smalling ruled out of Euro 2012
Friday 11 May 2012
Manchester United and England defender Chris Smalling will miss Euro 2012 with a groin injury.
Manager Sir Alex Ferguson confirmed the news this morning after Smalling suffered the injury during last week's win over Swansea at Old Trafford.
"Chris has suffered a bad injury," said Ferguson.
"It is a groin muscle injury and he will miss the European Championships.
"We are assessing what to do at the moment but it is a bad injury."
Ferguson confirmed Danny Welbeck would be available for this summer's tournament, even though he will miss Sunday's trip to Sunderland with an ankle injury.
"He is still out just now but he should be fit for the Euros," Ferguson said.
Ferguson confirmed Phil Jones would replace Smalling at the Stadium of Light, where United, if they are to win the Premier League title, must win and hope Manchester City fail to beat QPR in their final game.
Ferguson said: "We can only do our best and try to win the game, and hope something stupid happens to Manchester City."
Latest in Sport
Chelsea vs Manchester United: Jose Mourinho dismisses United injury worries, saying 'they have an amazing squad'
Aaron Hernandez: American Football in the dock as NFL star player's murderous double life is revealed
Chelsea vs Manchester United: Why Blues are the least popular team in the league
Chelsea vs Manchester United combined XI: Thibaut Courtois or David De Gea? Juan Mata or Willian? Who makes our team?
Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao: Where are the tickets for the fight?
- 1 BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
- 2 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 3 'I wish my teacher knew...': Young students share their 'heartbreaking' worries in notes
- 4 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
- 5 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'