Manchester United defender Chris Smalling ruled out of Euro 2012
Friday 11 May 2012
Manchester United and England defender Chris Smalling will miss Euro 2012 with a groin injury.
Manager Sir Alex Ferguson confirmed the news this morning after Smalling suffered the injury during last week's win over Swansea at Old Trafford.
"Chris has suffered a bad injury," said Ferguson.
"It is a groin muscle injury and he will miss the European Championships.
"We are assessing what to do at the moment but it is a bad injury."
Ferguson confirmed Danny Welbeck would be available for this summer's tournament, even though he will miss Sunday's trip to Sunderland with an ankle injury.
"He is still out just now but he should be fit for the Euros," Ferguson said.
Ferguson confirmed Phil Jones would replace Smalling at the Stadium of Light, where United, if they are to win the Premier League title, must win and hope Manchester City fail to beat QPR in their final game.
Ferguson said: "We can only do our best and try to win the game, and hope something stupid happens to Manchester City."
Latest in Sport
Don't mess with me, Diego Costa warns Manchester City ahead of Chelsea clash
Colombian women's cycling team kit that makes wearer appear naked is branded 'unacceptable' by UCI president
West Ham vs Liverpool match report: Reds are caught cold by hot Hammers
Florida State quarter-back Jameis Winston suspended for half-a-game for yelling 'F*** her right in the p****'
Aston Villa vs Arsenal team news: Alexis Sanchez incorrectly named in starting line-up as Alex Oxlade-Chamerlain called up to start
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Matthew Miller: American sentenced to hard labour in North Korea 'wanted to be Snowden II'
- 5 Iranian blogger found guilty of insulting Prophet Mohammad on Facebook sentenced to death