Mexico delayed after bird hits windscreen
Monday 24 May 2010
Mexico's World Cup squad endured a three-hour delay in Germany after a bird crashed into the windscreen of the plane due to take them to London for tonight's World Cup warm-up match against England.
The Wembley friendly is the first of four Mexico are playing in Europe before going to the finals in South Africa where they meet the host team in the opening match on June 11 in Johannesburg.
"A bird crashed into the windscreen of the plane due to pick up the national team in Nuremberg as it was landing, without any consequences, but regulations stipulate the aircraft had to be checked before being boarded to fly to England," the Mexican Football Federation said in a statement yesterday.
Mexico also meet Netherlands on Wednesday, Gambia next Sunday and Italy on June 3.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Ireland gay marriage vote: 'No' campaign appears to concede amid reports of 'yes' landslide victory
- 2 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 3 Picture of couple posing with beached dolphin 'that later died' causes outrage
- 4 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
- 5 Arsenal fan asks the Queen for tickets to the FA Cup final - gets a reply from Buckingham Palace