Mexico delayed after bird hits windscreen
Monday 24 May 2010
Mexico's World Cup squad endured a three-hour delay in Germany after a bird crashed into the windscreen of the plane due to take them to London for tonight's World Cup warm-up match against England.
The Wembley friendly is the first of four Mexico are playing in Europe before going to the finals in South Africa where they meet the host team in the opening match on June 11 in Johannesburg.
"A bird crashed into the windscreen of the plane due to pick up the national team in Nuremberg as it was landing, without any consequences, but regulations stipulate the aircraft had to be checked before being boarded to fly to England," the Mexican Football Federation said in a statement yesterday.
Mexico also meet Netherlands on Wednesday, Gambia next Sunday and Italy on June 3.
Tennis star is set to marry his long-term girlfriend, Kim Sears
Latest in Sport
- 1 I'm A Celebrity 2014: Jungle security stepped up after murder and 'suspicious death' near to camp
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Jeremy Hunt: 'I took my children to A&E because I didn't want to wait for GP appointment'
- 4 Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
- 5 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football