Mexico delayed after bird hits windscreen
Monday 24 May 2010
Mexico's World Cup squad endured a three-hour delay in Germany after a bird crashed into the windscreen of the plane due to take them to London for tonight's World Cup warm-up match against England.
The Wembley friendly is the first of four Mexico are playing in Europe before going to the finals in South Africa where they meet the host team in the opening match on June 11 in Johannesburg.
"A bird crashed into the windscreen of the plane due to pick up the national team in Nuremberg as it was landing, without any consequences, but regulations stipulate the aircraft had to be checked before being boarded to fly to England," the Mexican Football Federation said in a statement yesterday.
Mexico also meet Netherlands on Wednesday, Gambia next Sunday and Italy on June 3.
Latest in Sport
Police probe Mario Balotelli racist abuse as Kick It Out voice their displeasure
All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
Frank Lampard equalises for Manchester City against Chelsea: how Twitter reacted
Manchester City vs Chelsea match report: Frank Lampard shows no joy after denying Chelsea victory
Leicester City 5 Manchester United 3 player ratings: Leonard Ulloa? Radamel Falcao? Jamie Vardy? Angel Di Maria? Who was the star man?
- 1 All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': TV reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Clothes store Joy angers mental health campaigners with Twitter exchange on bipolar disorders
- 5 Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond