Mourinho plays down England talk
Friday 01 October 2010
Jose Mourinho appears to have ruled out ever becoming England manager by claiming only Englishmen should be appointed to the role.
Former Chelsea boss Mourinho, who took charge of Real Madrid this summer, has long been linked with the England job and has been careful in the past not to dismiss entirely the prospect of taking it in future.
But the 47-year-old has now revealed the only national team he wants to manage is his native Portugal - and that he is not interested in doing so any time soon.
He told BBC's Football Focus programme: "I think national teams are: England for the English and Portugal for the Portuguese.
"I will one day play against England with my Portugal but Portugal has to wait a long time."
Latest in Sport
Arsenal and Puma unveil world's first left-footed football
Italy vs England player ratings: Did Andros Townsend's goal see him beat Harry Kane and Wayne Rooney to top marks?
Liverpool's best XI of the season so far: Raheem Sterling should play in the front three while Steven Gerrard remains on the bench
WWE Raw results: Brock Lesnar suspended for post-Wrestlemania 31 rampage after losing title to Seth Rollins
Ryan Mason tattoo: Tottenham and England midfielder trolled by Twitter user who compares him to 12-year-old boy
- 1 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 2 Martha Stewart accuses Snoop Dogg of 'smoking for four hours' during Justin Bieber Roast
- 3 I might be an MP, but that doesn't stop me fighting sexism with my breasts
- 4 Google April Fools': company unveils backwards search engine and huggable digital assistant
- 5 April Fools' Day 2015: The best hoax news stories from around the internet