Netherlands vs Costa Rica player ratings: Could Arjen Robben maintain his good form, or did super-sub Tim Krul outshine him?
Krul came off the bench in the final minute to save two penalties and send the Dutch through to the semi-finals
Sunday 06 July 2014
Holland's substitute goalkeeper Tim Krul dramatically made two saves in a penalty shoot-out against Costa Rica to carry his side into the semi-finals of the World Cup.
Dutch coach Louis van Gaal brought the Newcastle keeper on for Jasper Cillessen late in extra time after a goalless 120 minutes in Salvador on Saturday - and the decision paid off handsomely.
Krul denied Bryan Ruiz and Michael Umana while the Dutch converted all of their spot-kicks to set up a meeting with Argentina in the last four.
Holland had numerous chances to score before spot-kicks were required but were denied by Costa Rica keeper Keylor Navas, who had recovered from a shoulder injury to start and was named man of the match.
So how did each team get on in the World Cup quarter final?
Click on the gallery to find out.
Do you agree with the ratings? Leave your thoughts in the comment box below.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 2 People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
- 3 Van driver who comforted Clark Carlisle and called 999 after suicide attempt dies age 24
- 4 James Blunt was special guest on the highest-rating Top Gear episode ever
- 5 The biggest first date turnoff has been revealed