Netherlands vs Costa Rica player ratings: Could Arjen Robben maintain his good form, or did super-sub Tim Krul outshine him?
Krul came off the bench in the final minute to save two penalties and send the Dutch through to the semi-finals
Sunday 06 July 2014
Holland's substitute goalkeeper Tim Krul dramatically made two saves in a penalty shoot-out against Costa Rica to carry his side into the semi-finals of the World Cup.
Dutch coach Louis van Gaal brought the Newcastle keeper on for Jasper Cillessen late in extra time after a goalless 120 minutes in Salvador on Saturday - and the decision paid off handsomely.
Krul denied Bryan Ruiz and Michael Umana while the Dutch converted all of their spot-kicks to set up a meeting with Argentina in the last four.
Holland had numerous chances to score before spot-kicks were required but were denied by Costa Rica keeper Keylor Navas, who had recovered from a shoulder injury to start and was named man of the match.
So how did each team get on in the World Cup quarter final?
Click on the gallery to find out.
Do you agree with the ratings? Leave your thoughts in the comment box below.
Latest in Sport
Manchester United vs Newcastle match report: Brilliant Wayne Rooney scores twice to fire up United's unlikely title challenge
Championship round-up: Emile Heskey back with a bang in Bolton victory
Arsenal vs QPR player ratings: Could anyone outshine new Gunners hero Alexis Sanchez and who was worse than villain Olivier Giroud?
Manchester United 3 Newcastle 1: 'I'm playing like Paul Scholes,' says Wayne Rooney
Sports Quiz of the Year 2014: The Questions
- 1 Exclusive: Abusers using spyware apps to monitor partners reaches 'epidemic proportions'
- 2 Margaret Thatcher 'expressed fears of Asian rising' at Anglo-Irish summit in 1984
- 3 Top 10 travel destinations for 2015: From Haiti and Alaska to Namibia and Iceland
- 4 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 5 The Unluckiest People of the Year 2014 (and one very unlucky giraffe)