Netherlands vs Mexico player ratings World Cup 2014: Giovani Dos Santos or Arjen Robben - who was the star man in Fortaleza?
Man-for-man marking from a sweltering match at the Estadio Castelao
Sunday 29 June 2014
The Netherlands made their way into the quarter-finals of the World Cup thanks to two late goals against Mexico in Fortaleza.
Mexico led until the final 10 minutes after Giovani Dos Santos gave them the lead with a sweet strike.
But Wesley Sneijder, who had struggled in the sweltering 38.8C heat, slammed home an equaliser with just two minutes remaining.
The game looked to be heading to extra-time but Arjen Robben was brought down for a controversial penalty deep into injury time.
Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, on as a sub for Robin van Persie, stepped up to convert the 94th minute penalty and send Mexico out at this stage for the sixth time in a row.
Who do you think was the man of the match? Let us know in the comments below.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Snoop Dogg and Jared Leto buy a stake in Reddit as A-list invests $50m
- 2 Prince held a Facebook Q&A and this is the only question he answered
- 3 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 4 Now we know whose fault it is if you end up being murdered in Thailand
- 5 35,000 walrus gather ashore on north-west Alaska beach 'for a rest'