Neville backs Owen for England recall
Friday 10 July 2009
Gary Neville believes Michael Owen's move to Manchester United can rekindle his England career.
The striker, who joined United from Newcastle this summer, has found himself frozen out of the international picture under Fabio Capello.
But Neville said: "Anyone who plays for United over a season has a great chance of getting into an international team, no matter whether it be England or any other country.
"It's a hard club to play for and if you're playing well and doing well then you have a great chance.
"I don't think Michael moved to United for England. He's moved to improve Manchester United. But the opportunity is there for him."
The defender is also harbouring hopes of an England return ahead of the World Cup finals in South Africa next year.
Neville has endured a miserable time with injuries over the past couple of years but was recalled to the England squad for last month's qualifiers against Kazakhstan and Andorra.
The 34-year-old continued: "I have an opportunity. There's still a long way to go for anyone who thinks they can be in the squad.
"I like playing for England and want to be there. It's frustrating not winning anything with England and not getting to finals but there's still a chance there for me."
Latest in Sport
MK Dons 4 Manchester United 0: Emmanuel Frimpong and Edin Dzeko lead the jokes as the internet reacts to humiliating defeat
Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
Manchester United transfer news: Daley Blind will only move for 'top price'
Arsenal vs Besiktas match report: Alexis Sanchez scores only goal as Gunners survive night of nerves to qualify for Champions League
Arsenal vs Besiktas player ratings: Alexis Sanchez? Jack Wilshere? Mesut Ozil? Who was the star man at the Emirates Stadium?
- 1 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 2 Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
- 3 Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
- 4 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 5 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'