Neville backs Owen for England recall
Friday 10 July 2009
Gary Neville believes Michael Owen's move to Manchester United can rekindle his England career.
The striker, who joined United from Newcastle this summer, has found himself frozen out of the international picture under Fabio Capello.
But Neville said: "Anyone who plays for United over a season has a great chance of getting into an international team, no matter whether it be England or any other country.
"It's a hard club to play for and if you're playing well and doing well then you have a great chance.
"I don't think Michael moved to United for England. He's moved to improve Manchester United. But the opportunity is there for him."
The defender is also harbouring hopes of an England return ahead of the World Cup finals in South Africa next year.
Neville has endured a miserable time with injuries over the past couple of years but was recalled to the England squad for last month's qualifiers against Kazakhstan and Andorra.
The 34-year-old continued: "I have an opportunity. There's still a long way to go for anyone who thinks they can be in the squad.
"I like playing for England and want to be there. It's frustrating not winning anything with England and not getting to finals but there's still a chance there for me."
Latest in Sport
Premier League 2015/16 kits: Confirmed and rumoured strips from Arsenal, Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and others
Michel Platini will consider pulling England and other Uefa members out of the World Cup if Sepp Blatter wins Fifa president election
Manchester United season player ratings: Grading Louis van Gaal's entire squad
Psychic penguins have made their pick for Arsenal vs Aston Villa in the FA Cup final...
How to boycott Fifa - a football fan's guide
- 1 Autistic adults could take pure MDMA to 'reduce social anxiety'
- 2 Before you complain about your GP, this is what you need to know about actually doing the job
- 3 Father of 12 accused of raping, beating, starving and abusing his own children in US 'cult'
- 4 Britain's Got Talent 2015: Jamie Raven divides Twitter as fans expose mind-boggling magic trick
- 5 Charlie Charlie Challenge explained: not a Mexican demon being summoned — it's gravity