Neville tips Baines for World Cup
Former England international Phil Neville is backing Everton team-mate Leighton Baines to secure a World Cup place in Fabio Capello's squad.
With Ashley Cole currently injured and Wayne Bridge unavailable Baines is competing for the left-back spot with Aston Villa's Stephen Warnock ahead of tomorrow's friendly against Egypt.
The 25-year-old has yet to make his England debut but Neville does not believe that will be any barrier to him booking a ticket to South Africa this summer.
"Leighton is a very level-headed lad who keeps his feet on the ground," said Neville, who won the last of his 59 England caps in October 2007.
"In the past he was probably just happy to be in the England squad but now there's a quiet determination to go in there and cement his place in the team.
"He has a good chance of starting and hopefully staking a claim for the World Cup.
"He has all the attributes. He's quick, technically good, gets crosses in, knows how to defend and he won't let anyone down."
Neville told the Liverpool Echo: "There is always someone who comes up late on the rails and does well in a World Cup and what a fantastic end to the season it could be for Leighton.
"He has good experience at international level with the Under-21s and that will stand him in good stead for the game against Egypt."
Latest in Sport
Chelsea 4 Tottenham 0 match report: Samuel Eto’o stoops to conquer sorry Spurs
West Brom 0 Manchester United 3 match report: Manchester United stick to the script as Robin Van Persie loses the plot
Chelsea 4 Tottenham Hotspur 0: Manager Tim Sherwood calls on Spurs to show guts following heavy defeat
Arsenal 4 Everton 1 match report: Revitalised Mesut Özil breathes life into Arsenal
Transfer news: Micah Richards could fill gap at Arsenal with Bacary Sagna's departure as Manchester City contract winds down
- 1 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 2 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 3 Singapore sting: Sky-high prices are pushing locals to the edge of affordability
- 4 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because late wife Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it
- 5 Dead woman's body found sitting in a car after six years after direct debits ran $54,000 bank account dry