Neville tips Baines for World Cup
Former England international Phil Neville is backing Everton team-mate Leighton Baines to secure a World Cup place in Fabio Capello's squad.
With Ashley Cole currently injured and Wayne Bridge unavailable Baines is competing for the left-back spot with Aston Villa's Stephen Warnock ahead of tomorrow's friendly against Egypt.
The 25-year-old has yet to make his England debut but Neville does not believe that will be any barrier to him booking a ticket to South Africa this summer.
"Leighton is a very level-headed lad who keeps his feet on the ground," said Neville, who won the last of his 59 England caps in October 2007.
"In the past he was probably just happy to be in the England squad but now there's a quiet determination to go in there and cement his place in the team.
"He has a good chance of starting and hopefully staking a claim for the World Cup.
"He has all the attributes. He's quick, technically good, gets crosses in, knows how to defend and he won't let anyone down."
Neville told the Liverpool Echo: "There is always someone who comes up late on the rails and does well in a World Cup and what a fantastic end to the season it could be for Leighton.
"He has good experience at international level with the Under-21s and that will stand him in good stead for the game against Egypt."
Latest in Sport
West Ham confirm 20-year-old striker Dylan Tombides has died after battle with cancer
Hull v Arsenal: Arsene Wenger admits 'I am not in the best position' as contract uncertainty continues
Secret to Liverpool’s title charge is Brendan Rodgers’ ability to keep changing formation – and Raheem Sterling’s gift of adapting to his manager’s wishes
Steven Gerrard: Lion of Liverpool
Spurs ‘agree deal’ with former Milan manager Massimiliano Allegri
- 1 KFC 'sorry' after lesbian couple are kicked out of Bath restaurant for 'heavy petting'
- 2 West Ham confirm 20-year-old striker Dylan Tombides has died after battle with cancer
- 3 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 4 Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy attacked as 'sinful'
- 5 PFA Player of the Year: Luis Suarez, Daniel Sturridge and Steven Gerrard all nominated as Liverpool dominate award shortlist