Neymar out of World Cup 2014: Juan Camilo Zuniga - 'I did not deliberately try to injure your hero'
Colombia defender insists the broken vertebrae suffered by Neymar was not a result of a deliberate attempt to hurt him
Saturday 05 July 2014
The Colombia defender who ended Neymar’s World Cup insisted that he did not deliberately try to injure the Brazilian superstar.
As Fifa announced an investigation into the tackle, Juan Zuniga said: “We wanted to score, and it was a tough game. Brazil was marking strongly. I hope it’s nothing serious, let’s pray to God,”.
“On the pitch I’m defending my shirt, my country, but I didn’t expect him to fracture a vertebrae. He is a great talent for Brazil and for the world.”
Zuniga jumped into Neymar’s back and his knee struck the Brazilian’s third vertebra two minutes from the final whistle, dealing a major blow to the hosts who are seeking a sixth world title.
“It’s a normal action, I tried to shadow him,” Zuniga said. “I was not thinking of hurting him. I was defending my country’s colours. Sadly it happened this way. I hope he gets well, God willing.”
Neymar, who netted four times in the tournament, won’t need surgery but will be out for several weeks, team doctors said.
Latest in Sport
Frank Lampard equalises for Manchester City against Chelsea: how Twitter reacted
All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
Manchester City vs Chelsea match report: Frank Lampard shows no joy after denying Chelsea victory
Leicester City 5 Manchester United 3 player ratings: Leonard Ulloa? Radamel Falcao? Jamie Vardy? Angel Di Maria? Who was the star man?
Leicester City vs Manchester United match report: Jamie Vardy runs lopsided United ragged in amazing comeback
- 1 All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': TV reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Alicia Keys leaks nude photo 'to create a kinder and more peaceful world'
- 5 Clothes store Joy angers mental health campaigners with Twitter exchange on bipolar disorders