Neymar out of World Cup: Colombia defender Juan Camillo Zuniga defends challenge
The hosts will play the rest of the tournament without their talisman
Juan Camillo Zuniga has quickly become the most vilified man in Brazil after his challenge ruled Neymar out of the rest of the World Cup.
The Colombia defender clattered into the back of the hosts' talisman with his knee during Brazil's 2-1 quarter-final win in Fortaleza.
Read more: Neymar out of World Cup
Zuniga defends challenge on Neymar
Lebron James and Gisele among those to react on Twitter
The challenge by the 28-year-old was not punished with a yellow card but the 28-year-old, who plays his club football for Serie A side Napoli, will not be able to forget it he who was responsible for ruling Neymar out - particularly if Brazil fail to win the World Cup on home soil.
Despite the rough nature of the challenge that flattened the Brazil number 10, Zuniga defended himself after the match by insisting he was "playing for the shirt from my country, not with the intent to injure".
Brazil are through to a semi-final against Germany with the winner of that match going on to play in the final at the Maracana on July 13.
Latest in Sport
Petr Cech demands talks over Chelsea future as Thibaut Courtois begs him to stay – as mentor
Angel Di Maria: Manchester United to push ahead with £50m move for Real Madrid winger
Marcos Rojo to Manchester United: Sporting Lisbon confirm deal with Nani heading back to Portugal on loan
Arsenal player ratings vs Besiktas
Besiktas vs Arsenal player ratings: Alexis Sanchez, Jack Wilshere, Calum Chambers - who was the Gunners star man?
- 1 The way the police have treated Cliff Richard is completely unacceptable
- 2 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 3 Michael Brown shooting: Ferguson police shoot and kill second young black man
- 4 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 5 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermeister and vodka