Nigeria vs Argentina player ratings: How did Lionel Messi and Sergio Aguero rate?
Player ratings from the Group F clash
Wednesday 25 June 2014
Lionel Messi scored twice, including a sumptuous free-kick, to help Argentina beat Nigeria 3-2 and ensure qualification to the knockout stages as winners of Group F.
Messi's two goals were twice cancelled out by Nigeria's Ahmed Musa but Marcos Rojo's second-half finish made sure Argentina took all three points.
Despite their defeat, Nigeria also progressed to the last 16 as Iran were beaten 3-1 by Bosnia-Herzegovina - meaning the Super Eagles go through as runners-up.
Argentina will now face the runners-up of Group E, with either Switzerland or Ecuador their most likely opponents, while Nigeria will almost certainly play France.
Who do you think should have been man of the match? Let us know in the comments below.
Latest in Sport
Cristiano Ronaldo: Unhappy forward is ready to quit Real Madrid, according to Angel Di Maria
Tim Wiese offered WWE role after German goalkeeper packs on muscle
Borussia Dortmund vs Arsenal: Jurgen Klopp concerned with Dortmund injuries and praises signings of Danny Welbeck and Alexis Sanchez
Hull City vs West Ham match report: Enner Valencia stars as honours shared at the KC Stadium
Cristiano Ronaldo to Manchester United: Ramon Calderon claims Real Madrid star is 'fed up'
- 1 Scottish independence: Ireland since 1919 is a lesson for Scotland in what a Yes vote means
- 2 Thailand deaths: Pair's bloodied bodies found naked on Koh Tao beach
- 3 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
- 4 Kanye West stops concert after two fans don't stand up - doesn't realise one is in wheelchair and the other disabled
- 5 QS university world rankings: Imperial College London leapfrogs Oxford to join Cambridge as best British university