Nigeria vs Argentina player ratings: How did Lionel Messi and Sergio Aguero rate?
Player ratings from the Group F clash
Wednesday 25 June 2014
Lionel Messi scored twice, including a sumptuous free-kick, to help Argentina beat Nigeria 3-2 and ensure qualification to the knockout stages as winners of Group F.
Messi's two goals were twice cancelled out by Nigeria's Ahmed Musa but Marcos Rojo's second-half finish made sure Argentina took all three points.
Despite their defeat, Nigeria also progressed to the last 16 as Iran were beaten 3-1 by Bosnia-Herzegovina - meaning the Super Eagles go through as runners-up.
Argentina will now face the runners-up of Group E, with either Switzerland or Ecuador their most likely opponents, while Nigeria will almost certainly play France.
Who do you think should have been man of the match? Let us know in the comments below.
Latest in Sport
Arsenal and Puma unveil world's first left-footed football
Italy vs England player ratings: Did Andros Townsend's goal see him beat Harry Kane and Wayne Rooney to top marks?
Liverpool's best XI of the season so far: Raheem Sterling should play in the front three while Steven Gerrard remains on the bench
WWE Raw results: Brock Lesnar suspended for post-Wrestlemania 31 rampage after losing title to Seth Rollins
Ryan Mason tattoo: Tottenham and England midfielder trolled by Twitter user who compares him to 12-year-old boy
- 1 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 2 Martha Stewart accuses Snoop Dogg of 'smoking for four hours' during Justin Bieber Roast
- 3 I might be an MP, but that doesn't stop me fighting sexism with my breasts
- 4 Google April Fools': company unveils backwards search engine and huggable digital assistant
- 5 April Fools' Day 2015: The best hoax news stories from around the internet