Nigeria vs Argentina player ratings: How did Lionel Messi and Sergio Aguero rate?
Player ratings from the Group F clash
Wednesday 25 June 2014
Lionel Messi scored twice, including a sumptuous free-kick, to help Argentina beat Nigeria 3-2 and ensure qualification to the knockout stages as winners of Group F.
Messi's two goals were twice cancelled out by Nigeria's Ahmed Musa but Marcos Rojo's second-half finish made sure Argentina took all three points.
Despite their defeat, Nigeria also progressed to the last 16 as Iran were beaten 3-1 by Bosnia-Herzegovina - meaning the Super Eagles go through as runners-up.
Argentina will now face the runners-up of Group E, with either Switzerland or Ecuador their most likely opponents, while Nigeria will almost certainly play France.
Who do you think should have been man of the match? Let us know in the comments below.
Latest in Sport
Manchester United transfer news: Louis van Gaal offloads fringe players as he looks to the long term
Loic Remy joins Chelsea: Striker adds artillery to Diego Costa's firepower
Leicester vs Arsenal player ratings: Who was the star man? Wes Morgan? Leonard Ulloa? Alexis Sanchez?
Tottenham to offer Andros Townsend to Southampton in £14m deadline day bid for Jay Rodriguez
Tottenham vs Liverpool player ratings: Who was the star man? Raheem Sterling? Alberto Moreno? Or new-boy Mario Balotelli?
- 1 Joan Rivers: 'Palestinians deserve to be dead'
- 2 Perez Hilton apologises for Jennifer Lawrence nude photo leak
- 3 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 4 Mexican woman becomes world’s 'oldest person' at 127
- 5 Isis terror threat: Leading British Muslims issue fatwa condemning terror group