No comeback for Hiddink
Croatia 0 Turkey 0 (Croatia win 3-0 on aggregate)
Wednesday 16 November 2011
Croatia gained revenge for their Euro 2008 quarter-final defeat at the hands of the Turks as they cruised through to the 2012 tournament with a goalless draw in Zagreb last night.
Guus Hiddink's side were much improved from the first leg but rarely looked like seriously troubling Croatia on a bitterly cold night in the Maksimir Stadium.
Hiddink, the former Chelsea manager, is expected to stand down later this week.
Latest in Sport
WWE Raw results: Seth Rollins and Kane punish Dean Ambrose while Brock Lesnar receives a new Championship belt
Angel Di Maria: Manchester United to push ahead with £50m move for Real Madrid winger
Manchester United transfer news: Sporting Lisbon confirm Marcos Rojo deal complete with Nani heading back to Portugal on loan
Besiktas vs Arsenal: Arsene Wenger hits out at Aaron Ramsey red card decision
Arsenal player ratings vs Besiktas
- 1 Three of Pope Francis' relatives die in Argentina car crash, including two young great-nephews
- 2 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad with Jager and potatoes for vodka as campsite opens tomorrow
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations