Northern Ireland v Norway: O'Neill hands armband to Davis
Wednesday 29 February 2012
Michael O'Neill has named Steven Davis as captain for his first match in charge of Northern Ireland against Norway at Windsor Park tonight. It means Aaron Hughes, who led the side for eight years, is back in the ranks after his retirement U-turn.
"Steven is the captain going forward," O'Neill said. "With a new manager coming in, it was maybe time."
O'Neill has appealed for patience from fans who were disappointed following an underwhelming Euro 2012 campaign. With resources limited, not to mention a World Cup qualifying group containing both Portugal and Russia, O'Neill said: "There is no secret the last campaign finished on a disappointing note, but maybe the level of patience is not what it was. I hope there isn't that unrealistic weight of expectancy. A bit of perspective would be nice."
Latest in Sport
QPR 1 Arsenal 2: Arsene Wenger praises 'mental strength' of strikers Alexis Sanchez and Olivier Giroud in win over QPR
Newcastle 0 Manchester United 1: Louis van Gaal describes performance as 'maybe our best match of the season'
Cristiano Ronaldo: Real Madrid superstar 'sends his hair stylist to look after his waxwork once a month'
Newcastle vs Manchester United match report: Ashley Young scores late winner as Angel Di Maria fails to shine yet again
Brooklyn Beckham to be released: Why Arsenal could regret letting David Beckham's son depart
- 1 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 2 Drugs Live cannabis trial: Hash is less harmful than any other drug, expert claims
- 3 Turkish Airlines flight TK 726 crash-lands on Nepal runway amid dense fog
- 4 Penis size: Study revealing 'what's normal' sends international media into meltdown
- 5 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for