Past nightmares return to create penalty jitters

Not one for the family album: the image of a bawling Beckham peering out of the tabloids. Thankfully, it was junior, Romeo, and not dad, who was a wailing gargoyle of temper tantrum, and reduced to a flood of tears, being comforted by his mother, Victoria, at the culmination of a night of raw emotion at Estadio da Luz; though the England captain must have sat in the dressing-room suffering rather similar frustrations.

Not one for the family album: the image of a bawling Beckham peering out of the tabloids. Thankfully, it was junior, Romeo, and not dad, who was a wailing gargoyle of temper tantrum, and reduced to a flood of tears, being comforted by his mother, Victoria, at the culmination of a night of raw emotion at Estadio da Luz; though the England captain must have sat in the dressing-room suffering rather similar frustrations.

What is it with England players and penalties? On tournament records over the last 14 years, God forbid they are involved in a shoot-out, should they progress out of Group B, the Group of Life (a defeat of Switzerland and a draw against Croatia could yet yield them a qualifying place). The agonies of Stuart Pearce and Chris Waddle at Italia '90, the pain of Gareth Southgate at Euro '96 (notwithstanding that he capitalised quite nicely from that pizza chain ad) and the misery of Paul Ince (who apparently hadn't even volunteered in '96) and David Batty at the 1998 World Cup (when Glenn Hoddle had decided that practising penalties was a futile exercise) are all too fresh in the mind.

Shoot-outs may be a factor to concern England in the future. For the moment, scoring them, individually, in normal time, is exercising England minds. Depressingly, this was a second successive failure by Beckham, who, admittedly, had slipped before resembling Jonny Wilkinson with his previous England penalty in Istanbul.

This time, he was thwarted by a splendid save from Barthez, a player whom Beckham, last week, had refused to denigrate as being France's weakest component, describing him instead, with a certain unfortunate prescience, as "world-class on his day". Confound him, Beckham must have pondered later, that this had to be one of those days. The attempt, struck venomously, was placed at a convenient height and well within reach of the goalkeeper.

Beckham's pure power policy can be effective. But that lack of subtlety does offer the goalkeeper a chance, if only a 10 per cent one. "In a situation like this one, the odds are 90 per cent against the goalkeeper, but you never know," Barthez reflected. "It's only instinct." For the taker, it should be a science. The England captain may reflect that Ferenc Puskas only rarely provided such generosity. The imperious Hungarian practised by aiming at a one-foot disc suspended a yard below the crossbar and a yard from the post.

While you suspect that pride would determine that Beckham would resist all attempts to wrest the ball out of his hands next time, who would you actually entrust with a spot-kick next time, anyway?

Michael Owen? The striker, who, whether because of Sven Goran Eriksson's tactics, or his own shortcomings, was a poor imitation of his typical England self here, insisted that he would not shirk the responsibility, if asked. Yet, though his record may read three out of three for England, his extraordinary sequence of inconsistency, spurning 10 out of his last 23 chances from the spot for Liverpool, is too readily recalled.

Unfortunately, there is no Danny Murphy around to direct England clinically out of a spot. Steven Gerrard, who until that last-minute aberration had fortified England with his driving presence, is a possible contender. So, too, Frank Lampard.

But Beckham clearly would regard it as an affront to his dignity if stripped of his penalty-taker's braid. The honour and responsibility will presumably remain with him. Hopefully, Sunday night's experience will not.

News
people
Sport
FootballGerman sparks three goals in four minutes at favourite No 10 role
News
Rumer was diagnosed with bipolarity, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder: 'I was convinced it was a misdiagnosis'
peopleHer debut album caused her post-traumatic stress - how will she cope as she releases her third record?
Sport
A long jumper competes in the 80-to-84-year-old age division at the 2007 World Masters Championships
athletics
PROMOTED VIDEO
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Sport
Radamel Falcao was forced to withdraw from the World Cup after undergoing surgery
premier leagueExclusive: Reds have agreement with Monaco
Arts and Entertainment
'New Tricks' star Dennis Waterman is departing from the show after he completes filming on two more episodes
tvHe is only remaining member of original cast
Sport
Lewis Hamilton will start the Singapore Grand Prix from pole, with Nico Rosberg second and Daniel Ricciardo third
F1... for floodlit Singapore Grand Prix
Life and Style
Walking tall: unlike some, Donatella Versace showed a strong and vibrant collection
fashionAlexander Fury on the staid Italian clothing industry
Arts and Entertainment
Gregory Porter learnt about his father’s voice at his funeral
music
Arts and Entertainment
tvHighs and lows of the cast's careers since 2004
Life and Style
Children at the Leytonstone branch of the Homeless Children's Aid and Adoption Society tuck into their harvest festival gifts, in October 1936
food + drinkThe harvest festival is back, but forget cans of tuna and packets of instant mash
New Articles
i100... she's just started school
News
news
New Articles
i100
Life and Style
Couples have been having sex less in 2014, according to a new survey
life
Arts and Entertainment
musicBiographer Hunter Davies has collected nearly a hundred original manuscripts
New Articles
i100... despite rising prices
Voices
Holly's review of Peterborough's Pizza Express quickly went viral on social media
voices
Caption competition
Caption competition
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?

Bleacher Report

Daily Quiz
Independent Dating
and  

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

Career Services

Day In a Page

Scottish referendum: The Yes vote was the love that dared speak its name, but it was not to be

Despite the result, this is the end of the status quo

Boyd Tonkin on the fall-out from the Scottish referendum
Manolo Blahnik: The high priest of heels talks flats, Englishness, and why he loves Mary Beard

Manolo Blahnik: Flats, Englishness, and Mary Beard

The shoe designer who has been dubbed 'the patron saint of the stiletto'
The Beatles biographer reveals exclusive original manuscripts of some of the best pop songs ever written

Scrambled eggs and LSD

Behind The Beatles' lyrics - thanks to Hunter Davis's original manuscript copies
'Normcore' fashion: Blending in is the new standing out in latest catwalk non-trend

'Normcore': Blending in is the new standing out

Just when fashion was in grave danger of running out of trends, it only went and invented the non-trend. Rebecca Gonsalves investigates
Dance’s new leading ladies fight back: How female vocalists are now writing their own hits

New leading ladies of dance fight back

How female vocalists are now writing their own hits
Mystery of the Ground Zero wedding photo

A shot in the dark

Mystery of the wedding photo from Ground Zero
His life, the universe and everything

His life, the universe and everything

New biography sheds light on comic genius of Douglas Adams
Save us from small screen superheroes

Save us from small screen superheroes

Shows like Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D are little more than marketing tools
Reach for the skies

Reach for the skies

From pools to football pitches, rooftop living is looking up
These are the 12 best hotel spas in the UK

12 best hotel spas in the UK

Some hotels go all out on facilities; others stand out for the sheer quality of treatments
These Iranian-controlled Shia militias used to specialise in killing American soldiers. Now they are fighting Isis, backed up by US airstrikes

Widespread fear of Isis is producing strange bedfellows

Iranian-controlled Shia militias that used to kill American soldiers are now fighting Isis, helped by US airstrikes
Topshop goes part Athena poster, part last spring Prada

Topshop goes part Athena poster, part last spring Prada

Shoppers don't come to Topshop for the unique
How to make a Lego masterpiece

How to make a Lego masterpiece

Toy breaks out of the nursery and heads for the gallery
Meet the ‘Endies’ – city dwellers who are too poor to have fun

Meet the ‘Endies’ – city dwellers who are too poor to have fun

Urbanites are cursed with an acronym pointing to Employed but No Disposable Income or Savings
Paisley’s decision to make peace with IRA enemies might remind the Arabs of Sadat

Ian Paisley’s decision to make peace with his IRA enemies

His Save Ulster from Sodomy campaign would surely have been supported by many a Sunni imam