Rachel Yankey marks England milestone with win over Canada
Monday 08 April 2013
Arsenal’s Rachel Yankey matched Peter Shilton’s caps’ record as a last-gasp header from Ellen White gave England a 1-0 victory over Canada in Rotherham.
The women’s side’s first warm-up match ahead of Euro 2013 resulted in the same score as their victory over the Canadians last month in the final of the Cyprus Cup, a win secured by Yankey’s superb strike from distance.
Yankey made the 125th international appearance of a career dating back to 1997, although she had been substituted by the time England made the breakthrough in the 92nd minute when Fara Williams’ cross was nodded home by White.
Latest in Sport
Chelsea vs Manchester United: Jose Mourinho dismisses United injury worries, saying 'they have an amazing squad'
Aaron Hernandez: American Football in the dock as NFL star player's murderous double life is revealed
Chelsea vs Manchester United: Why Blues are the least popular team in the league
Chelsea vs Manchester United combined XI: Thibaut Courtois or David De Gea? Juan Mata or Willian? Who makes our team?
Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao: Where are the tickets for the fight?
- 1 BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
- 2 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 3 US? China? India? The 10 biggest economies in 2030 will be...
- 4 'I wish my teacher knew...': Young students share their 'heartbreaking' worries in notes
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats