Rachel Yankey marks England milestone with win over Canada
Monday 08 April 2013
Arsenal’s Rachel Yankey matched Peter Shilton’s caps’ record as a last-gasp header from Ellen White gave England a 1-0 victory over Canada in Rotherham.
The women’s side’s first warm-up match ahead of Euro 2013 resulted in the same score as their victory over the Canadians last month in the final of the Cyprus Cup, a win secured by Yankey’s superb strike from distance.
Yankey made the 125th international appearance of a career dating back to 1997, although she had been substituted by the time England made the breakthrough in the 92nd minute when Fara Williams’ cross was nodded home by White.
Latest in Sport
FA Cup: Arsenal v Everton match preview
Ashley Cole and Luke Shaw rise to the bait to deny they are the rumoured 'gay England footballer'
West Bromwich Albion v Manchester United: Is Wayne Rooney really in Robin van Persie’s way at United?
Robin van Persie: Manchester United manager David Moyes a 'little bit surprised' after striker plays 90 minutes for Netherlands day after being sick
Chelsea v Tottenham: Tim Sherwood claims the pressure is off as Spurs look to end dreadful record at Stamford Bridge
- 1 To those who can’t see the point of International Women’s Day: you are the very reason it exists
- 2 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because late wife Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it