Rachel Yankey marks England milestone with win over Canada
Monday 08 April 2013
Arsenal’s Rachel Yankey matched Peter Shilton’s caps’ record as a last-gasp header from Ellen White gave England a 1-0 victory over Canada in Rotherham.
The women’s side’s first warm-up match ahead of Euro 2013 resulted in the same score as their victory over the Canadians last month in the final of the Cyprus Cup, a win secured by Yankey’s superb strike from distance.
Yankey made the 125th international appearance of a career dating back to 1997, although she had been substituted by the time England made the breakthrough in the 92nd minute when Fara Williams’ cross was nodded home by White.
elephant appealThe first 23 lots in our charity auction have now gone. But there are 22 more still up for grabs
From rainforests and reefs to beaches and boat trips
comedy'Fresh Meat' star sees off stiff competition from Alan Carr, David Mitchell, Graham Norton, Lee Mack and Sarah Millican to win top prize
Latest in Sport
World Cup 2014: Football Manager developers predict the team of the tournament - but which England player makes it into the XI?
Manchester City should have known rules in Bayern Munich match, says Rafa Benitez
Robin van Persie injury: Manchester United striker ruled out for a month after picking up thigh injury in win over Shakhtar Donetsk
Ashes 2013-14: Bowlers go short to let Aussies off the hook again
Champions League last 16 draw 2013: Who could Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City and Manchester United meet?
- 1 Pensioner James Gray places advert in newspaper for company on Christmas Day
- 2 Australia incest case: Deformed children found in remote farming community after generations of inbreeding
- 3 Physicists discover 'clearest evidence yet' that the Universe is a hologram
- 4 Woman who miscarried in private prison 'made to clean up after herself,' court told
- 5 Fox News presenter tells viewers it is a 'fact' that both Jesus and Santa Claus are white