Rachel Yankey marks England milestone with win over Canada
Monday 08 April 2013
Arsenal’s Rachel Yankey matched Peter Shilton’s caps’ record as a last-gasp header from Ellen White gave England a 1-0 victory over Canada in Rotherham.
The women’s side’s first warm-up match ahead of Euro 2013 resulted in the same score as their victory over the Canadians last month in the final of the Cyprus Cup, a win secured by Yankey’s superb strike from distance.
Yankey made the 125th international appearance of a career dating back to 1997, although she had been substituted by the time England made the breakthrough in the 92nd minute when Fara Williams’ cross was nodded home by White.
Latest in Sport
Alexis Sanchez: Streetwise Arsenal forward is the real deal, says Arsene Wenger
Arsenal vs Burnley: Jack Wilshere ruled out with knee injury as Arsene Wenger reveals further injury concerns with just three fit defenders
Tim Sherwood column: Southampton are succeeding because they have an identity
Enner Valencia interview: The striker takes whirlwind way to West Ham
Paul Scholes: Some Liverpool players are getting away with it while Mario Balotelli gets all the stick
- 1 'Nasa Confirms Six Days of Darkness in December': No, they don't - it's a hoax
- 2 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 3 Woman blinded as a child can see again after hitting her head on a coffee table
- 4 Paul Hollywood: Police asked if I wanted them to arrest Mary Berry for vandalism after she 'defaced' my car
- 5 If you think Russell Brand’s new book is confused, you should read what his critics have to say about it