Rafael Benitez in the running for Russian national job
Wednesday 11 July 2012
Rafael Benitez is interested in the role of Russia coach with a meeting already planned with the national federation.
Benitez faces fierce competition for the role with the former England manager Fabio Capello and ex-Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola among 13 high-profile candidates for the job published yesterday by the Russian Football Union (RFU). The list also includes former Tottenham Hotspur manager Harry Redknapp, former Italy coach Marcello Lippi and Argentine Marcelo Bielsa.
The former Liverpool manager won the Champions League and Uefa Cup at Anfield and the La Liga title with Valencia. He recently turned down Sampdoria's advances because of the club's lack of immediate resources.
But the Spaniard, eager to get back into the game since leaving Internazionale in December 2010, appears ready to leave Merseyside to become the new head coach of Russia.
Phil Smith, Redknapp's agent, said his client was also open to negotiations. "Would Harry have a problem coming to Russia? No. He'll live in any country, especially as big as Russia. I think such an offer would definitely interest him if it came, but so far, we haven't heard anything about it."
Latest in Sport
WWE Raw results: Seth Rollins and Kane punish Dean Ambrose while Brock Lesnar receives a new Championship belt
Angel Di Maria: Manchester United to push ahead with £50m move for Real Madrid winger
Manchester United transfer news: Sporting Lisbon confirm Marcos Rojo deal complete with Nani heading back to Portugal on loan
Besiktas vs Arsenal: Arsene Wenger hits out at Aaron Ramsey red card decision
Arsenal player ratings vs Besiktas
- 1 Three of Pope Francis' relatives die in Argentina car crash, including two young great-nephews
- 2 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad with Jager and potatoes for vodka as campsite opens tomorrow
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations