Republic of Ireland to mark sectarian atrocity at Euro 2012
Thursday 17 May 2012
The families of six men shot dead in a sectarian massacre have praised football chiefs after they agreed to let the Republic of Ireland mark the atrocity at Euro 2012.
The team will wear black armbands wile playing Italy on June 18 - exactly 18 years since the Loughinisland massacre during the World Cup in the United States in 1994.
The Football Association of Ireland confirmed European football chiefs gave the go-ahead for the remembrance as the team take on Italy, a repeat of the match the victims were watching.
Niall Murphy, solicitor for the families, said the relatives were moved by the honour.
"The families are touched that this tragic event can be commemorated on such a poignant day, the 18th anniversary of the atrocity," he said.
"We would like to thank the FAI and UEFA for their assistance in providing a forum to recall the awful event that took place on that fateful day when Ireland played Italy."
Six Catholic men were shot dead when Ulster Volunteer Force killers opened fire indiscriminately inside the Heights bar in Loughinisland, County Down.
The Republic defeated Italy 1-0 that night in the Giants Stadium in New York.
Among those who died in the attack was Barney Green, aged 87, the oldest victim of the Troubles. Five other men were seriously wounded.
No one has been convicted of the murders, although 16 people were arrested over the years.
Uefa granted permission for the commemoration after the FAI approached them on behalf of the families of the bereaved.
John Delaney, FAI chief executive, said the commemoration is particularly poignant as the Republic will be playing Italy in a major tournament.
"What happened in Loughinisland in 1994 was an awful tragedy and deeply moving for all football fans. I would like to thank Uefa for assisting us in commemorating this atrocity and take the opportunity to remember all those who lost their lives in the Troubles," he said.
The Northern Ireland Police Ombudsman last year found insufficient evidence of collusion between police and the loyalist gang in connection with the atrocity and subsequent investigation but he did identify police failings over the disposal of the getaway car and the loss of some evidence.
Latest in Sport
Google trolls Tottenham with Oxford dictionary definition of 'lackadaisical'
Gabriel Paulista: Talented Brazilian could grow into world-class defender at Arsenal
Phil Neville backtracks on Tomas Rosicky 'I'd smash him' comments from Match of the Day 2
Floyd Mayweather ends the carnival this week and picks his next fight - but will it be Amir Khan, Manny Pacquiao or Miguel Cotto
Steven Defour: Anderlecht midfielder sent off after kicking ball into Standard Liege fans who unveiled huge banner showing him decapitated
- 1 Double chins could be 'cured' without surgery or dieting using new injection
- 2 The BBC has just done more to eradicate ‘terrorism’ than all our wars since 9/11
- 3 Dog thinks owner is drowning in lake, dives in and tries to pull him out
- 4 Thank heavens for Louise Mensch and her foul-mouthed tweets to world leaders