Rib injury rules Ashley Cole out of England's final World Cup qualifier against Poland
Left-back will miss crucial match at Wembely on Tuesday
Sunday 13 October 2013
Ashley Cole has been ruled out of England’s final World Cup qualifier against Poland on Tuesday after it was announced he has failed to overcome the rib injury which ruled him out of the game against Montenegro.
Leighton Baines took Cole’s place in the 4-1 win on Friday and his performance was praised as England moved closer to securing automatic qualification to next summer’s finals in Brazil.
Chelsea left-back Cole, joint sixth in England’s all-time appearance record, has started four of England’s nine qualifying matches in Group H whilst Baines would make his sixth start in the same campaign if selected for the Tuesday night’s match.
A win against Poland would hand top spot of Group H to England, and Everton left-back Baines is set to deputise once more after the Football Association confirmed Cole’s absence on Sunday.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Migrant crisis: Greek soldier saved 20 people singlehandedly off Rhodes beach
- 2 Frank Lampard's face drops when Holly Willoughby introduces him as a 'Man City legend'
- 3 UK weather: Britain braced for snow as arctic air mass moves in
- 4 Aaron and Melissa Klein: Oregon anti-gay bakers ordered to pay $135,000 after refusing to make cake for same-sex wedding
- 5 General Election 2015: Stephen Hawking says he will vote Labour