Rib injury rules Ashley Cole out of England's final World Cup qualifier against Poland
Left-back will miss crucial match at Wembely on Tuesday
Sunday 13 October 2013
Ashley Cole has been ruled out of England’s final World Cup qualifier against Poland on Tuesday after it was announced he has failed to overcome the rib injury which ruled him out of the game against Montenegro.
Leighton Baines took Cole’s place in the 4-1 win on Friday and his performance was praised as England moved closer to securing automatic qualification to next summer’s finals in Brazil.
Chelsea left-back Cole, joint sixth in England’s all-time appearance record, has started four of England’s nine qualifying matches in Group H whilst Baines would make his sixth start in the same campaign if selected for the Tuesday night’s match.
A win against Poland would hand top spot of Group H to England, and Everton left-back Baines is set to deputise once more after the Football Association confirmed Cole’s absence on Sunday.
Latest in Sport
Ashley Cole and Luke Shaw rise to the bait to deny they are the rumoured 'gay England footballer'
Chelsea 4 Tottenham 0 match report: Samuel Eto’o stoops to conquer sorry Spurs
West Brom 0 Manchester United 3 match report: Manchester United stick to the script as Robin Van Persie loses the plot
Arsenal 4 Everton 1 match report: Revitalised Mesut Özil breathes life into Arsenal
Transfer news: Micah Richards could fill gap at Arsenal with Bacary Sagna's departure as Manchester City contract winds down
- 1 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 2 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 3 Singapore sting: Sky-high prices are pushing locals to the edge of affordability
- 4 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because late wife Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it
- 5 Dead woman's body found sitting in a car after six years after direct debits ran $54,000 bank account dry