Rib injury rules Ashley Cole out of England's final World Cup qualifier against Poland
Left-back will miss crucial match at Wembely on Tuesday
Sunday 13 October 2013
Ashley Cole has been ruled out of England’s final World Cup qualifier against Poland on Tuesday after it was announced he has failed to overcome the rib injury which ruled him out of the game against Montenegro.
Leighton Baines took Cole’s place in the 4-1 win on Friday and his performance was praised as England moved closer to securing automatic qualification to next summer’s finals in Brazil.
Chelsea left-back Cole, joint sixth in England’s all-time appearance record, has started four of England’s nine qualifying matches in Group H whilst Baines would make his sixth start in the same campaign if selected for the Tuesday night’s match.
A win against Poland would hand top spot of Group H to England, and Everton left-back Baines is set to deputise once more after the Football Association confirmed Cole’s absence on Sunday.
Latest in Sport
Chelsea vs Tottenham: Eden Hazard exclusive interview - All is rosy in the garden of Eden
Arsenal vs Monaco: Theo Walcott 'involved in spat' with fans after Champions League defeat
It's time to stop the 'small club' jibes after Chelsea signed £200m Yokohama deal
After record-breaking £5.136bn Premier League TV deal, why are Everton the only British club to win in Europe?
Robbie Savage avoids driving ban - because he would get 'accosted' too much if he had to use public transport
- 1 Forget 'The Dress': Here are five of the biggest news stories you might have missed
- 2 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 MH370: 'Putin ordered plane to be flown to Kazakhstan space port,' conspiracy theory claims