Ronaldo at the double as Brazil overwhelm club team
Wednesday 31 May 2006
The world champions Brazil warmed up in style for next month's jamboree in Germany with an 8-0 romp over a Lucerne select side in front of a capacity 30,000 crowd at the St Jakob stadium in Basle last night.
Ronaldo and Adriano scored twice while Lucio, Juninho Pernambucano, Robinho and Kaka grabbed the other goals.
A freak strike from the goalkeeper Luis Enrique Martinez helped Colombia record a 2-1 win in Poland's final home friendly before the World Cup last night.
The West Bromwich goalkeeper Tomasz Kuszczak's hopes of earning a starting place in the finals in Germany nosedived when Martinez added the second goal in the 64th minute. Kuszczak, on as a substitute, misjudged the bouncing ball and let it drop in over his outstretched arms - drawing jeers from the crowd of about 40,000 at the Slaski Stadium, Chorzow.
Colombia opened the scoring after 20 minutes when Fredy Guarin's 35-yard free-kick deflected in off striker Elkin Murillo. The winger Ireneusz Jelen pulled a consolation back for Poland in the last minute.
The Manchester United defender Gabriel Heinze stepped up his recovery from a cruciate ligament injury by featuring in Argentina's win against Angola last night.
Maximiliano Rodriguez and Juan Pablo Sorin scored the goals in Naples as Argentina cruised to a 2-0 victory, with Barcelona's Lionel Messi coming off the bench as he too stepped up his own return from injury.
Jan Koller started his first international since injuring his knee in September, leading the Czech Republic to a 1-0 win over Costa Rica.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 4 Homer Simpson takes the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he does
- 5 Hello Kitty is not a cat after all