Sam Allardyce makes Andy Carroll plea over England role
Friday 21 September 2012
Sam Allardyce, the West Ham manager, has urged Roy Hodgson to go easy with Andy Carroll in the next set of World Cup qualifiers.
The 23-year-old impressed during his West Ham debut against Fulham on 1 September following a loan switch from Liverpool – only to limp off in the second half with a hamstring problem which ruled him out of the England's games with Moldova and Ukraine.
Carroll has now resumed light training and if all goes well, the striker could be back in contention for the visit of Arsenal on 6 October. That would almost certainly see the 6ft 3in striker included for England's games the week after.
"It would be something that would need a conversation between me and Roy to say 'Andy is back, but please be careful if he goes to England," said Allardyce. "I am not saying 'don't play him', just be careful of the situation where he has come from."
life + styleClarissa Baldwin is the brains behind the slogan 'A Dog is for Life not just for Christmas'
Latest in Sport
Arsenal 2 Hull City 0 match report: Superb Arsenal march on at the top as Nicklas Bendtner gets back among the goals
Liverpool 5 Norwich City 1 match report: Luis Suarez tears Norwich apart once again with four goals and an assist
Manchester United must win 'an awful lot of games' if they are to retain the Premier League title, admits David Moyes after Everton defeat
Manchester United 0 Everton 1 match report: Roberto Martinez pulls off elusive victory that eluded David Moyes
Manchester City sign the 'new Lionel Messi' Brahim Abdelkader, and in doing so put one over Barcelona
- 1 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 2 How black gold was hijacked: North sea oil and the betrayal of Scotland
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Scientists sequence oldest human DNA from fossilised leg bone found in Spain
- 5 ‘Put it in my mouth’: Viewers outraged by apparent reference to oral sex in VIP e-cig advert