Savage predicts more walk-outs
Thursday 17 March 2005
Robbie Savage has admitted he would reconsider his international retirement if John Toshack left the Wales job.
The Blackburn midfielder, 30, predicted there will be more walk-outs if the former Real Madrid manager remains in charge. Savage announced he was retiring from international football after he was told by Toshack that he would not be in the squad for Wales' World Cup qualifiers against Austria next month.
Asked if he would consider returning to the Wales team if Toshack departed, he said: "Yes."
Savage then compared his fall-out with Toshack to Roy Keane's exit from the Republic of Ireland team at the 2002 World Cup, revealing that the players are unhappy with the methods of the new Wales manager.
After insisting his exclusion from the Wales squad was the result of a personality clash with the new manager, he described the preparations for last month's friendly against Hungary, Toshack's first game in charge, as a "shambles".
He added: "We had fried bananas to start the meals which no one has ever heard of. There were no carbohydrates. The training methods were a shambles.
"I spoke out and it was a bit like the Roy Keane situation [at the World Cup], I was just speaking up for the lads.
"We were all sneaking out to the petrol station to buy chocolate because we were starving."
Latest in Sport
- 1 Forget 'The Dress': Here are five of the biggest news stories you might have missed
- 2 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Saudi Muslim cleric claims the Earth is 'stationary' and the sun rotates around it