Sepp Blatter backs England World Cup hopes
Olympics have shown England's ability to host events says Fifa president
Monday 14 January 2013
Sepp Blatter, the Fifa president, has said England could make the World Cup "very, very exceptional" if given the chance to host the tournament.
England's last bid to host the global showpiece ended in disappointment just over two years ago. Nevertheless, after the success of the London 2012 Olympics, Blatter told Sky Sports News. "If England organise a World Cup, they would make the best out of it, and they would make something very, very exceptional. It is the homeland of this beautiful game and through the Olympics they have shown the ability not only of organising the Olympics Games but how much football is appreciated and respected."
Latest in Sport
- 1 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 2 People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
- 3 Van driver who comforted Clark Carlisle and called 999 after suicide attempt dies age 24
- 4 James Blunt was special guest on the highest-rating Top Gear episode ever
- 5 The biggest first date turnoff has been revealed