Shortlist for the Golden Ball award announced
Friday 09 July 2010
Ten players have been shortlisted for FIFA's player of the tournament award, including three from Spain and two from fellow finalists Holland.
Interestingly, the shortlist does not include a single goalkeeper.
The player will be announced after Sunday's final based on votes from journalists accredited for the World Cup.
The Golden Ball award winner in 2006 caused some embarrassment to the organisers: Zinedine Zidane was announced shortly after being sent off for head-butting Marco Materazzi.
Latest in Sport
Frank Lampard was RIGHT not to celebrate Manchester City's equaliser against Chelsea
All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
Colombian women's cycling team kit that makes wearer appear naked is branded 'unacceptable' by UCI president
Five reasons why Louis van Gaal is a worse Manchester United manager than David Moyes
Sam Wallace: Louis Van Gaal struggled at start of Bayern’s Double-winning season, but United’s problems run deeper and this league is less forgiving
- 1 iOS 8 apps and features: eight iPhone settings you need to look at after you install update
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': KTVA reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
- 5 Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair