Spain 0 Chile 2 player ratings: David Silva? Andres Iniesta? Diego Costa? Did any of Spain's players emerge with any credit as they exit the World Cup
Only two matches in, and the holders have been knocked out
Wednesday 18 June 2014
Hard-working Chile overwhelmed an out-of-sorts Spain 2-0 to secure their - and the Netherlands' - place in the World Cup second round and eliminate the holders on a memorable night at the Maracana on Wednesday.
Chile had never beaten Spain in their 10 previous meetings but always looked the more enterprising, taking the lead with a brilliantly-worked Eduardo Vargas goal after 20 minutes and doubling their lead just before halftime when Charles Aranguiz banged in the rebound from a meek punch by keeper Iker Casillas.
Spain, beaten 5-1 by the Netherlands in their opening Group B match, looked a shadow of the team that triumphed four years ago and won back-to-back European titles, with Sergio Busquets missing the best of their few chances early in the second half.
Chile and the Netherlands, who beat Australia 3-2 earlier on Wednesday, both have six points and their meeting in Sao Paulo on Monday will decide the group finishing order.
So who was Chile's star man? And did they all fail for Spain? Click through our gallery below for player ratings...
Spain cannot progress and have become the third holders in the last four tournaments to go out at the group stage following France in 2002 and Italy in 2010.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Exclusive: Abusers using spyware apps to monitor partners reaches 'epidemic proportions'
- 2 Margaret Thatcher 'expressed fears of Asian rising' at Anglo-Irish summit in 1984
- 3 Sussex couple die in suspected Christmas Day 'suicide pact'
- 4 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 5 The Unluckiest People of the Year 2014 (and one very unlucky giraffe)