Spain 1 Netherlands 5: Robin van Persie scores incredible header, but where does it rank among the Manchester United striker's best goals?
Manchester United striker connected with a 45-yard pass
Seemingly out of nowhere, Robin van Persie met Daley Blind's 45-yard cross with a sublime header to equalise for the Netherlands in their shock 5-1 victory over Spain, leaving goalkeeper Iker Casillas stranded. But where does it rank among the Dutchman's finest goals?
With his sublime effort, Van Persie also became the first Dutchman to score in three successive World Cup finals too. He later added a second, capitalising on an error from Casillas.
1. Charlton 1-2 Arsenal, September 2006
Emmanuel Eboue pinged in a cross, Van Persie acrobatically volleyed it home from outside the area without missing a step. Incredible.
2. Arsenal 1- 0 Everton, Dec 2011
Another astonishing volley. Alex Song chips in a cross which Van Persie runs on to to somehow thrash the ball into the corner. Tim Howard didn't even move.
3. SPAIN v NETHERLANDS, JUNE 2014
Meeting a 45-yard pass to head the ball on for a pass is normal. Leaping to meet a 45-yard pass with a perfectly directed diving header to score is on a different planet.
4. Man Utd 3-0 Aston Villa, April, 2013
Van Persie wrapped up the Premier League for Manchester United with this strike, connecting with Wayne Rooney's long-range pass with an unstoppable first-time finish.
5. Liverpool 1-2 Arsenal, March 2012
In the 90th minute, Song looks up, lofts over his through-ball to Van Persie, who steadies himself before beating Pepe Reina at his near post.
Latest in Sport
Google trolls Tottenham with Oxford dictionary definition of 'lackadaisical'
Gabriel Paulista: Talented Brazilian could grow into world-class defender at Arsenal
Phil Neville backtracks on Tomas Rosicky 'I'd smash him' comments from Match of the Day 2
Floyd Mayweather ends the carnival this week and picks his next fight - but will it be Amir Khan, Manny Pacquiao or Miguel Cotto
Steven Defour: Anderlecht midfielder sent off after kicking ball into Standard Liege fans who unveiled huge banner showing him decapitated
- 1 Double chins could be 'cured' without surgery or dieting using new injection
- 2 The BBC has just done more to eradicate ‘terrorism’ than all our wars since 9/11
- 3 Dog thinks owner is drowning in lake, dives in and tries to pull him out
- 4 Thank heavens for Louise Mensch and her foul-mouthed tweets to world leaders