Spain 1 Netherlands 5: Robin van Persie scores incredible header, but where does it rank among the Manchester United striker's best goals?
Manchester United striker connected with a 45-yard pass
Seemingly out of nowhere, Robin van Persie met Daley Blind's 45-yard cross with a sublime header to equalise for the Netherlands in their shock 5-1 victory over Spain, leaving goalkeeper Iker Casillas stranded. But where does it rank among the Dutchman's finest goals?
With his sublime effort, Van Persie also became the first Dutchman to score in three successive World Cup finals too. He later added a second, capitalising on an error from Casillas.
1. Charlton 1-2 Arsenal, September 2006
Emmanuel Eboue pinged in a cross, Van Persie acrobatically volleyed it home from outside the area without missing a step. Incredible.
2. Arsenal 1- 0 Everton, Dec 2011
Another astonishing volley. Alex Song chips in a cross which Van Persie runs on to to somehow thrash the ball into the corner. Tim Howard didn't even move.
3. SPAIN v NETHERLANDS, JUNE 2014
Meeting a 45-yard pass to head the ball on for a pass is normal. Leaping to meet a 45-yard pass with a perfectly directed diving header to score is on a different planet.
4. Man Utd 3-0 Aston Villa, April, 2013
Van Persie wrapped up the Premier League for Manchester United with this strike, connecting with Wayne Rooney's long-range pass with an unstoppable first-time finish.
5. Liverpool 1-2 Arsenal, March 2012
In the 90th minute, Song looks up, lofts over his through-ball to Van Persie, who steadies himself before beating Pepe Reina at his near post.
Latest in Sport
West Ham vs Arsenal match report: Sam Allardyce fumes at referee as Arsenal push on towards top four
Tottenham vs Manchester United match report: Hugo Lloris blocks Manchester United from putting pressure on Premier League title rivals
Liverpool vs Swansea preview: 'Jonjo Shelvey is lazy, he needs to wise up,' says Garry Monk
Arsenal transfer news: William Carvalho to be subject of £20m bid
West Ham 1 Arsenal 2 player ratings: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain? Andy Carroll? Alexis Sanchez? Who was the star man?
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 Doctors remove 80 teeth from boy's jaw
- 3 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 4 Sir Winston Churchill’s family begged him not to convert to Islam, letter reveals
- 5 Naomi Wolf reacts to Isis 'conspiracy theories' critism after she questions whether beheading videos are real