Steven Gerrard likely to miss summer England internationals with plans for shoulder surgery
The Liverpool captain has featured in every minute of the Reds' 34
Premier League matches so far
Wednesday 24 April 2013
Liverpool and England captain Steven Gerrard is likely to require surgery on a shoulder injury this summer, according to Reds first-team coach Mike Marsh.
The 32-year-old, who has featured in every minute of the Reds' 34 Premier League matches so far, has been playing through the problem this season.
"It's looking more and more likely that he might require surgery," Marsh told Liverpoolfc.com.
"He has been playing with a shoulder injury for quite a while now. We'll try to find the right time for him to get it fixed properly.
"It's not ideal timing, it's going to take quite a while for him to heal. It's a funny injury - it's pretty similar to Joe Allen (who has already had surgery which has ruled him out for the remainder of the campaign).
"If it needs repairing, it needs repairing and when he's back fit, he's back fit. There's not much we can do about it."
If, as expected, he undergoes an operation Gerrard is likely to miss internationals against the Republic of Ireland at Wembley on May 29 and Brazil in Rio de Janeiro on June 2.
Latest in Sport
Arsenal vs Besiktas: Seven reasons why Arsenal could suffer a Champions League upset
Arsenal transfer news: Could Arsene Wenger move for Danny Welbeck, Loic Remy or Edinson Cavani after Olivier Giroud's injury?
Manchester United transfer news: Is Angel Di Maria really worth £59.7m?
MK Dons vs Manchester United League Cup match report: Louis van Gaal is humiliated after Jonny Evans' error sparks drubbing
Fernando Torres: Chelsea striker insisting on permanent AC Milan deal - reports
- 1 Rice Bucket Challenge: India's take on the Ice Bucket Challenge 'for Indian needs'
- 2 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 Rubble Bucket Challenge: Ice Bucket Challenge adapted in solidarity with Gazans whose homes have been destroyed in conflict
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Make sure you know the new rules from 1 October or risk £1,000 fine