Steven Gerrard praises 'tremendous' Frank Lampard ahead of 100th cap
Sunday 08 September 2013
If Frank Lampard wins his 100th England cap in Kiev on Tuesday night, captain Steven Gerrard hopes he will be on the pitch with him. The two veterans have not always dovetailed well in midfield, but Gerrard said that their combination worked well on Friday and hopes it will continue.
"A lot of people talk about me and Frank being in the same team," he said. "You know, we enjoy playing together.
"Nobody deserves it [100 caps] more than Frank. He's been tremendous for club and country. He's a top player. Hopefully I am on the pitch when he does get that 100th cap and I can share the moment with him because I have been with him all the way through. He's a good friend of mine. I can't wait for him to get it."
Gerrard is also pleased that Lampard stayed at Chelsea for this season, given the speculation that he might go abroad. "He is too good for LA Galaxy," said Gerrard. "You have seen his form for Chelsea at the back end of last season. It would have been sad if he had moved away, he's a great player."
Latest in Sport
Italy vs England player ratings: Did Andros Townsend's goal see him beat Harry Kane and Wayne Rooney to top marks?
WWE Raw results: Brock Lesnar suspended for post-Wrestlemania 31 rampage after losing title to Seth Rollins
WrestleMania 31: The Undertaker begins a new streak after tombstoning Bray Wyatt
Louis van Gaal: Manchester United boss reveals that being a 'slow player' made him a better manager on warts and all documentary
Proposals for 'scripted' Premier League matches stepped up after success of Wrestlemania 31
- 1 Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
- 2 Martha Stewart accuses Snoop Dogg of 'smoking for four hours' during Justin Bieber Roast
- 3 Trevor Noah: Jon Stewart's replacement faces online criticism over 'anti-Semitic' tweets
- 4 Turkey power cut: Prime Minister says nationwide blackout could be caused by terrorists
- 5 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims