Surprise Scotland call-up for Brighton midfielder Liam Bridcutt
Gordon Strachan names squad for World Cup qualifiers
Thursday 07 March 2013
Scotland manager Gordon Strachan sprang a major surprise in his first competitive squad by calling up Brighton midfielder Liam Bridcutt.
The 23-year-old Reading-born midfielder was joined by Dundee United winger Gary Mackay-Steven and Peterborough winger George Boyd in getting his first call-up ahead of the World Cup qualifiers against Wales and Serbia.
Boyd, who is currently on loan at Hull, previously featured for Scotland B in 2009 but had never made a full squad.
Scotland squad to face Wales on March 22 and Serbia on March 26 in World Cup qualifiers:
Gilks (Blackpool), Marshall (Cardiff), McGregor (Besiktas); Berra (Wolves), Caldwell (Wigan), Fox (Southampton), Hanley (Blackburn), Hutton (Real Mallorca), Martin (Norwich), Mulgrew (Celtic), Webster (Hearts); Adam (Stoke), Bridcutt (Brighton), Burke (Birmingham), Commons (Celtic), Dorrans (West Brom), Forrest (Celtic), Mackay-Steven (Dundee United), McArthur (Wigan), Morrison (West Brom), Snodgrass (Norwich); Boyd (Hull), Fletcher (Sunderland), McCormack (Leeds), Maloney (Wigan), Miller (Vancouver Whitecaps), Naismith (Everton), Rhodes (Blackburn).
Latest in Sport
Tony Bellew vs Nathan Cleverly: Bellew takes his revenge with points win over Cleverly
Perth midfielder Ruben Zadkovich sent off 17 seconds after coming on against Wellington
England vs Samoa match report: England finally end losing streak as Jonny May stars in unspectacular win ahead of Wallabies showdown
Manchester United transfer news: Robin van Persie could leave this summer with Edinson Cavani and Thomas Muller on United wish-list
Arsenal vs Manchester United match report: Wayne Rooney and a Keiran Gibbs own goal make Gunners rue missed chances
- 1 'Not suppost to cry': 9-year-old lists the worst things about being a boy
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'