The Walcott's family will not take 'risk' of going to Euro 2012 amid fears of racism
Theo Walcott's family revealed last night that they will not travel to watch him play in Euro 2012 in Ukraine next month for fear of being the victims of a racial attack.
Walcott's brother Ashley tweeted that he and his father Don, who follows his son all over the world to watch him play, did not feel it was worth the "risk" to go to England's group games in Donetsk and Kiev.
Ashley posted: "Unfortunately my dad and I have taken the decision not to travel to the Ukraine because of the fear of possible racists attacks confrontations [sic].
"Some things aren't worth taking the risk, but begs the question why hold a competition of this magnitude in a place that cannot police itself."
Ukrainian football hooligans with racist tendencies have been the subject of recent exposes. Roy Hodgson expressed concerns yesterday about the safety of English fans next month.
Latest in Sport
MK Dons 4 Manchester United 0: Emmanuel Frimpong and Edin Dzeko lead the jokes as the internet reacts to humiliating defeat
Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
Manchester United transfer news: Daley Blind will only move for 'top price', say Ajax
Arsenal vs Besiktas match report: Alexis Sanchez scores only goal as Gunners overcome nerves to qualify for the Champions League
Arsenal vs Besiktas player ratings: Alexis Sanchez? Jack Wilshere? Mesut Ozil? Who was the star man at the Emirates Stadium?
- 1 Gun instructor accidentally shot dead by nine-year-old girl with Uzi gun
- 2 Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
- 3 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 4 Homer Simpson has taken the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he has
- 5 Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?