Thiney shines as France thrash Canada
Friday 01 July 2011
Gaëtane Thiney scored twice for France in a 4-0 win over Canada in Bochum yesterday that all but secured the French a spot in the quarter-finals of the Women's World Cup and left their opponents close to an early exit.
Thiney scored in the 24th and 59th minutes, and Camille Abily's header from a corner put the game beyond doubt with 24 minutes to go.
Substitute Elodie Thomis added the fourth in the 83rd minute, when she rounded the goalkeeper after French playmaker Louisa Necib sent her through.
Latest in Sport
Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao: The biggest fight of all time, or maybe just the most lucrative?
What time does Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao start?
Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao: What time does it start and where can I watch it?
Sir Alex Ferguson reveals who he thinks is better between Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi
Chelsea transfer news: 'Eden Hazard will cost Real Madrid £100m - and a Galactico,' says Jose Mourinho
- 1 I've been called an abusive and dangerous parent, when all I did was listen to my transgender child
- 2 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 3 Teaching profession headed for crisis as numbers continue to drop and working lives become 'unbearable'
- 4 The most powerful passports in the world
- 5 Chinese student carries disabled friend to school every day for three years